1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you get so close?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by danameless, Aug 18, 2009.

1. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

So I've had my Sigma 105mm for a couple of months now but haven't really used it for Macro until this past weekend. I went out, took some pics of a few flowers in the garden and caught a caterpillar too.

My question for thos who do macro is,

How do you get so close to the bugs/insects? I have seen some great shots here that are right up to the bugs face. Is it because the pictures are cropped and zoomed-in PP? Macro is all new to me so some pointers or advice would be great - Thanks!

2. Depends on the focal length and the bug. I got to flies, bees, and dragon's faces, very close. Sometimes they are tired, or busy eating and don't care. Just smile at them. :smile:

3. Jin, I suspect you are referring to how close you can get and still maintain focus. That being the case, the most common method is to use an extension tube that mounts on the camera end of the lens and extends it away from the camera just bit. They come in various lengths with the longest ones allowing you to get the closest while still maintaining focus. Another method is to use a magnifying lens mounted on the end of your lens. An example of this would be the Canon 500D. I use this method currently. Some might also use a bellows, a method that I used when I was doing extreme close-up photography with slides.

Most macro or micro lenses generally focus down to a 1/1 ratio so in order to get closer than that, extension tubes are the most common method and also the least expensive.

4. I use either the 300mm f4 AFS with an extension tube or a 200mm f4 micro. That way I don't have to get close:smile:

If you are trying with the 105 you have to choose the right insect. Some of the smaller butterflies don't disturb too easily when they are feeding, nor do damselflies. Some dragonflies eating a meal are very confiding - a few weeks back I was able to get Boreal snaketails to walk onto my finger when they were eating. Cool insects are less likely to flee than warm ones, so try looking for them in the morning. Also, sneak up on them very slowly. I think dressing in drab colours helps, too.

Good luck,

Larry

5. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I thought using a macro lens would suffice? I didn't think I would need to throw on an extension tube with it?

Below is the caterpillar. It's not a great shot, little soft due to hand holding and no PP done on it, just cropped it. But I just wanted to get people's feedback, I feel like I could get closer, and caterpillars move slow!

3835654154_8c6b1582b6.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6. I assume your Sigma is the micro/macro lens so it goes to 1:1 reproduction ratio. A roughly 23.7 mm object will fill the long dimension of your camera sensor. Have you focused as close as possible on a ruler to get an idea of what your lens can do? Experiment!!

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.