How Do You Know Which Lens Can/Cannot Use with TC?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Marlene, Aug 14, 2008.

1. I understand that there are lens you can use a TC with and some you cannot. How do you tell?

I have the Sigma 170-500. Can you use a TC with it? Also can you use one with the Nikon 80-400 VR?

Marlene

2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Here's a Nikon TC compatibility chart (near the bottom of the page). As manufactured, the 80-400VR will not work with a Nikon TC. Nikon makes it physically impossible to mount thier TC's on Nikon lenses that were not meant to be used with TC's. Some lenses can be modified so that they will work with a TC but you have to be very careful that the glass on the rear of the lens and the front of the TC do not touch. I'm sure that's part of the reason they were made incompatible to begin with. The other reason being that autofocus gets sluggish, if it works at all, at apertures of 5.6 and smaller.

Sigma electrically disables autofocus when using their lenses and TC's with total apertures of 5.6 or smaller but there is a way around it. See this post by phillip 200. Again, be careful about the glass touching and remember that autofocus will be slow.

There is also a possibility that a Kenko TC will work with either or both of your lenses. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the 80-400 and 170-500 with TC's and the Kenko TC will see this your post and respond.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. I have used Kenko TCs on Nikon (both AF and AF-S) and Tammy (only AF here) glass. I heard that it is better to stick with Siggy TCs when using Siggy glass.

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Kenko 300 Pro

When I still had my 80-400, I used the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4 TC extensively. It worked fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.