How do you like this rendition?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., Oct 20, 2005.

1. One of my pics I shot during summer looked a bit dull to me so I gave it a little PS treatment, actually it is a slightly corrected version of an erroneous mouse-click :smile:
    The result looked like kind of day-for-night to me and I liked it - so I kept it.

I wonder if you can guess what treatment lead to the version below the original.

original.

original.

70-200VR, 200mm @ f4.5

Cheers

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    No guesses here, but I love what you did with it!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Changed WB....Forgot you said PS.
    Swap channels

But I love it :>)))

Accidents are the best sometmes :>)))

4. It's pretty snappy, Harry. Very bright and vivid. I'm not quite sure how you did this, but I suspect it was one of the Adobe PS image adjustment options such as replace color.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. Sorry, misleading info from my side. This was done in NC, but no changing of WB. I just tried to do the same in PS - similar result but less snappy.

I'm happy that you also like it.
    Yesterday I made an A3 print of it and it confirmed my love for the R1800. All the subtle transitions in the shadow areas came out perfectly. I like this printer more and more each day.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Interesting rendition, Harry. I like it! The printed form should be a killer.

7. I like your "accident" alot!! Very nice indeed!

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ok ok ok, i give.....
    Whats the secret :>))))))))))

Fess up pal

9. It is as simple as possible. When I edited the NEF in NC I accidentally hit the Auto Contrast button (Auto levels in PS does a similar job but less hefty).

Usually I never touch these options (I am a manual maniac). The result was quite stunning. The reason was the configuration of the individual color channels. Red and green histograms were quite normal (central i.e., with ample space left and right), but the blue channel was completely shifted to the left with lot of space on the right side, so the auto adjustment was kind of radical.

All I did afterwards was to re-adjust the black and white points for each individual channel to weaken the effect, no other magic.

Cheers

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Harry,
    Amazing, look like you just turn a piece of silver into gold by accident :biggrin:
    Thanks for sharing

12. Very nice....like 'em both :smile:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Harry,
    Thats really neat. I sure like that.
    Will try it on some stuff. Think I have done that a time or two and gone eeeeekkkkkk.. Just wasn't the right image to do it to.

14. Very interesting indeed Harry! I quite like the unusual effect, and makes the image in this case I think.

You will never know, the technique could come in handy next time. There is just so much to learn...

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
    Jonathan

15. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Some of the worlds greatest inventions were discovered by accident you know. Penicellin for instance. Keep on doing mistakes. Who knows what will happen. I like it too.

16. Thanks for your interest.

As Torben said, mistakes are an important factor in creativity. I made numerous mistakes in my life which eventually turned out as very positive (most when I was still composing songs :smile: ).

Cheers

17. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Harry
    Very nicely done, especiallt #2. I thought you selected the Bg and inversed the colour, it also give weird and strange affects. But the cat is out of the bag.
    Regards
    Callie

18. I sincerely hope that the Beetles in this neck of the woods wear sunglasses!!

BW. Bob F.