How do you partition

I'm working on my computer and am thinking of creating a few partition on a 500 gb drive. I'm thinking of a 50 gb prime part, a 50 gb for photo editing software, 350 gb for digital media, and 50 gb for downloads.

So, how do you partion yours? Any better suggestions?

i don't anymore it slows the drive down to much

and vista and windows 7 run better on one drive.....

if you want separate drives buy separate ones WD 80GB are only $35 these days

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It is best to have all the software on the C drive. That way you can back that up and restore it, e.g. using Ghost.

There is no point in putting your photo software on a separate partition, as parts of it will be put on C: anyway.

Then on D: put all your data. I also have E: with more data (my photos).

The key point is that you get better performance if the data is on a separate drive than C:, rather than a separate partition.

So if I have one drive I split it into C: and D:.

With two drives I have the second one very large and you can decide to divide in two or not, doesn't matter. What you don't want is lots of partitions, it is pointless nowadays.

interesting points. I'll have to study up abit more. I do have a second drive (350gb) that I could put in.

If the drive matches, and you have RAID capability on your motherboard, I'd recommend RAID1 storage using those, and just use a small drive for the OS. Something about 120gb.

You won't care so much if your programs and settings are lost, but you'll have redundancy on all your important data.

I have two main HDs. The first of 250G, that came with the computer, has two 125G partitions: C has all the programs, D has data other than photos. The second, and larger (400G) HD also has two partitions. The smaller, 5G is only for cache, swap, and temp files. The rest is for photos. I think I might enlarge the 5G to 10G, though.

I also have several external drives for backup, two copies stay on premise, one goes off site. It may seem paranoid but I did experience a total HD failure at one company I worked for. Unfortunately for them, their backup tape system did not work. Unfortunately for me I had to deal with the aftermath for the next 2 years.

Back in the day, I used Partition Magic with Win2K. I split the single HDD into logical partitions for OS/apps & user data. I backed up only the user data.

No problems for a year but I got hosed with Partition Magic, I lost the entire drive when I tried to recover using the recovery disk I created 10 days earlier. I won't every use 3rd party partition SW again.

For my 4+ year old WinXPSP3 box, I started completely fresh and logically split a single HDD similar using the XP tools, 40% OS/app/cache & the remaining user data.

No problems at all and still plenty of space on the smaller partition. I backup user data to two external HDDs and create 2 full copies of DVDs for off-site storage.

I am very familiar with ghosting SW for HDD recovery. IMHO it's too complicated for home use (I'm an IT weenie too). I want to take pictures not fiddle with computers now.

For my next machine, I plan on having a smaller but really fast internal HDD for OS/app/cache and buy two 1 TB external HDDs for data and backup.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. :smile:

I never use partitions. I'd rather keep separate drives for backup, storage, photos, music, etc. Currently, I have a 500GB primary SATA, a 250GB secondary SATA mostly for photos, a 9GB SCSI for music (my iPod is less than 9GB and isn't full), a 36GB SCSI for documents and miscellaneous, and an 80GB IDE for a few games, like chess, Zoo Tycoon, etc. I backup to DVD drives and an external 1.5TB. Plus I use Ghost for imaging.

I work in IT so I'm pretty paranoid. :cool:

Good advice given

Try and split over physically seperate drives. Keep C: on seperate drive to your swap file drive (D:). If you're using photshop, that will benefit from having its swap file on D: too - though you may want to partition the drive into 2.
Data on a seperate drive, E: - no need to partition, just make a good folder structure that keeps things well organised and - BACK IT UP REGULARLY

Don't partition anymore. C drive is OCZ Vertex SSD. D drive is WD Velociraptor for temp file, internet temp, swap files. 1Tb WD green for backups.

Not partitioning is simply too much to backup on a frequent schedule. Creates too much problem, interferes with desire to do weekly backups.

I have one terabyte of RAID disk. It contains three 40GB partitions, for three bootable OS. For example, one currently is the new Windows 7 beta, one is XP (which I actually use), and one is empty right now. The XP partition, including all installed software programs, and all data for most programs (email, quicken, excel, word, html source, My Documents - all of everything except photos) uses only 16 GB of that 40GB. That is plenty to backup every week via disk image (about 8+ GB image file). I do watch it and purge it now and then, trash is emptied.

Its restore will restore absolutely everything except photos. 8GB allows retaining the several past versions of that backup too. I can of course also retrieve individual files from the True Image disk image too when necessary.

For daily stuff, I do use an xcopy batch to backup just the new stuff in a few important directories every day (sometimes more often) - and then of course, the entire working partition every week.

Then there is a 800+ GB partition remaining for photos, archived zip stuff, the infrequent data kind of stuff. This is backed up too, but on a "as needed" basis, not every week. Large photo sessions are often temporarily put on CD or DVD until that next large backup. Works great for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom