How do you prepare to capture that shot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hyper-Performance, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Studio Hermit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Ultimate Scout

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. OK Corral Gunner

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Loose and Free

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    It would be nice to know how everyone travels around - do you plan your shots well in advance? Shoot only when you feel the urge? Ready at a moments notice?

I would like to be better prepared, I always seem to see things that make me go "Damn I wish I had my camera" when it is in the other car.

Here is the definitions of your voting options:

Studio Hermit - my gear never leaves the shop, I have so much it would take me an hour to decide which tripod to take much less camera or lens. Besides it might get wet or dirty.

The Ultimate Scout - I'm prepared for anything, there is so much gear in my car/truck the front wheels barely touch the ground. Only one of the kids or a small dog can ride along with me.

OK Corral Gunner - One Camera, one lens, always by my side. If I could I would strap it to my leg like a olde west six-shooter and practice my quick draw for hours.

Loose and Free - I only take my camera when I think I'll need it or have an appointment. At least I have a camera in my cell phone to catch those improptue moments - can someone show me how to use it?

2. This should be interesting to see, because I used to be a Gunner...now I am a Scout :|

3. He he he

I am still at the Gunner stage but a D2Hs is a lot heavier to carry around than a D70s so I am thinking of getting an Olympus P&S camera to keep on me at all times and using the D2 for scoutting missions :smile:

4. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    I would like to be more of a Gunner, but hesitate to carry my "Shooter" everywhere. How do you folks handle having your gear locked in the car in hot humid weather, carrying the camera all over the place (they look at me funny in the grocery)? I want to be ready but not look like the eternal tourist.

5. My camera will ride with me for a period of time, and then not. My car tends to stay loaded with hiking/dog/baby gear, and is not as clean as I'd like for any level of camera permanency. :wink:

6. I don't have much gear...but what I have is always strapped to my back! (it's driving my wife nuts!:biggrin: )

7. Always carry a camera, be it the big rig or my Canon P&S. I need photos in my biz so this necessitates at least one camera. If I'm on the road meandering, etc., the big rig goes along... just in case. :biggrin:

I was up north last summer and doing a deal where I had to cross southern Ontario. Used the GPS so I could travel all the country roads. Didn't have a camera, and sure enough, drove past this gorgeous field of sunflowers against a summer blue sky. Beat myself up on that one. Always prepared in some way ever since.