1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you store your gear inside your house?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LindaZ, Aug 7, 2008.

1. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm very curious how you other serious shooters with a great amount of gear store all this stuff. Right now I have it kind of stuffed into a former entertainment center in my bedroom. But I'd like to see your, smarter solution!

Ikea anyone? lol

Anyway, I would love to see some pictures of your solution as well!

2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I have a Liberty gun safe I keep my stuff in when its not in use.
    But it only works when I remember to take my stuff out of my bag and put it back in the safe.

3. Initially it's a box, then a cabinet, and then several cabinets.

Now a room with air-con and humidity control.

4. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I took over the closet in a spare room. Keeps my kids away form it!

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    woha...those saves cost more than my D300. lol

7. I keep most of my gear in Pelican cases in one of my closets. I also have a few shelves in a cabinet for ancillaries like flashes, chargers, tripods, filters, etc...

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I used to have everything spread out on the kitchen counter when I just had the camera and 2 lenses. Then I got the 3rd lens, then the 50 1.4, and then, the straw that broke the camel's back: the big honkin' 80-400 with case.

I now have a designated camera drawer in my entertainment center. Next time I have to evacuate for a hurricane, I only have to yank out a single drawer!

9. I keep all of mine in a Lowepro backpack beside my desk. That's just the camera and lenses. The rest of it (studio stuff) is in a closet in the guest room.

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I bought a cabinet for all my stuff.

11. Large gun safe I purchased at Lowes for holding all my gear, not as nice as a liberty safe but much more economical. My fully loaded large Kata bag fits right inside on the top shelf when I don't bother to unload it. Large lenses, spare body etc. all fit on the other shelves. The other added benift is there is still room for the couple of firearms I own, so they are safe from my little ones hands.

12. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    You might want to try

lockable file cabinet(s). They offer some "out of sight" protection and to a thief might just look like your personal files (you could put labels like: bills, receipts, medical records, etc. on the drawers). There is the added advantage of being able to use a couple of drawers to store mounted photos.

Think I got into doing this with PC computer parts when that was my main interest, don't you just love the simplicity of MAC's?

13. I keep most everthing in my bag(ready to go) the rest is kept on the top shelf of my closet.I don't have to lock it up,somebody is always home.

14. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Hey, you found an advantage of having low-end gear... it all fits in one backpack! Mine is currently sitting in a corner in my dining room where it was placed for a party at my house last saturday... I guess I should carry it back upstairs into my office where it belongs.

My stuff is either in the Lowepro Fastpack 250, a small Lowepro case (carry's camera with attached accessory and one additional), or on a shelf in a cabinet ready to go.

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm so glad I asked this question, great ideas everyone.
    Lots of things I should think of. I do like the idea of a separate cabinet, one with a lock.

16. I've run the gamut from Akro bins, to shelves although I've never left stuff in their boxes. The problem with storing the items ala display shelves is that I'd regularly forgotten some important items like a lens cloth, WhiBal card, even compact flash cards. Each time I went on a shoot I'd have to pull stuff down and throw it in a bag...and miss a thing or two.

So I'm trying a modular approach. It probably sounds over the top but it's been helpful so far. I've grouped stuff into use.
    -chargers
    -winberley
    -Accessories (wrench, plates, flashlight, pen, etc)
    -Personal (sunscreen, aspirin, medicine)
    -Cleaning stuff
    -Markens head
    -Teleconverters
    -Daily shoot bag(spare batteries, whibal card, GPS tracker)
    -Documentation (credentials, bisiness card)

You can get small American Eagle bags from travel stores. I penned numbers on the outside of each and wrote the contents of each on an Excel spreadsheet. I printed the contents of each on one sheet and the contents of all alphabetically next to it.

[​IMG]

And the lists

[​IMG]

If I need something I glance at the alphabetical list and get it. When I'm through with it (usually after days and it's lying around taking up space) I take it to the shelf and look where it's supposed to go and replace it. When I go on a local shoot I just throw the appropriate bags into a sack or take/leave individual items.

I can provide the list if anyone is curious how I group stuff. As for the bodies and lenses, that's not an issue I have only a few lenses.

17. InLimbo87

InLimbo87

Jul 30, 2008
    Orlando, Fl
    I just keep it all in my bag, as I don't have that much equipment at the moment. Its nice because whenever I want to shoot, I can just grab the bag and go (unless I happen to leave the SD card in the computer DOH!)

18. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Phil, don't get this the wrong way, but after the "show your lenses" thing I think we'd rather keep you out of these discussions :biggrin:

room with airco and humidity control? (looks at $25 wooden cabinet bought at k-mart :actions1:) 

19. Same here. I added a keyed lock to the closet

20. Keep it in the camera bag and in a closet...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.