1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you take Infrared Shots?

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by bubz, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    ^ hope that title got alota photographers in here..

130506791-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Im new to Infrared.. How is it done?

with a filter? does it have to be a night time shot? and where can I get it?

thanks NikonCafe.com!

2. You either use a converted camera where the IR filter is replaced inside the camera over the sensor, or by using a lens filter.

Once converted, the camera can only be used for IR. Also by using a converted camera, you can shoot at normal shutter speeds.

With a filter, you will need a tripod, as the exposure is longer.

You shoot in daylight. You can get the filters at B&H, Adorama. You can get a camera converted at Life Pixel.

Here is a link to some good info on filters here at the Cafe':
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=53268&page=2&highlight=screw+filters

Here are a couple of links to some good information:
    http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-infrared/instructions.html

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm#r72

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks alot! your post helped alot.

I heard alot about the Hoya R-72 IR Filter.

So you shoot Daylight only? whats the difference w/ usinga filter than not using a filter..you need to bump up your exposure a little bit..anything else?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    If you do not use a filter on an unconverted camera, too much visible light gets in and swamps the infrared component - you will end up with a normal photo! The easiest way to shoot IR is to get your camera converted to IR only with an internal filter. LifePixel is a good place to do that.

5. BassGod

BassGod Guest

Yeah you need to bump a lot of things. Are you planning on shooting with your D80? I just posted my first D80 attempt. BIG difference than using my D50. With my D50 I can shoot handheld. With my D80 that's not the case at all.

By next Spring I may get my D50 converted but I still don't know if it's worth it or not while I'm doing fine with a filter and frankly I just don't have a "spare" that I can "spare" for conversion.

My latest IR image has some information on settings I used including post-production if that helps you.

A note on the Hoya R72. You won't be able to compose the shot with the filter on. It's impossible to see through on your lens. You'll also need to have it ON if you set a custom White Balance to get that false color that you see some of us come up with.

As Chris said .. LifePixel is a good place to start. You will find some tutorials on post-production as well as information on getting your camera converted if that's your plan.

6. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    ^^ thanks alot. I decided to go w/ the Hoya R72 52mm Filter. I saw your gallery and I really like those shots. those were all w/ the R72?! wow..

So set up my Tripod, find the shot I want and Focus, then turn it to Manual Focus and then install the Filter than shoot? and using the White Balance will adjust the different colors??

7. Assuming you have preset your WB on a sunny patch of green grass with the filter attached, you are correct. You can leave it in Autofocus, you don't "need" to put it to manual focus.

To get a blue sky instead of the brown, you will need to do some PP. Some leveling/channel swap is pretty much all you need to start with though you can do more if you like.

8. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    How do you do the Sunny Patch WB?.. just aim it at the Grass w/ the Filter on and adjust the WB, what color am I trying to achieve?

9. You set your camera WB to PRE, then hold the WB button again and PRE will flash. You then put the filter on, point your camera at bright green grass (hence the "sunny" part), get your exposure right according to the in-camera meter, and shoot. If the camera accepts, it will flash "Good". You are then ready to go.

Here is an IR straight out of the camera, second is false coloured in Photoshop CS3.

DSC_8397Medium.jpg

DSC_8397Medium-1.jpg

Once again, IR with filter on. Only adjusted Levels in PS CS3

DSC_9638Medium.jpg

And false coloured

DSC_9638-FCMedium.jpg

Nothing special about those pics, was just testing my new WB setting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.