1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you take photo in a aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mdruiz, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    PLease share....I cant.:frown:

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Large Fstop (2.8) - high ISO.

3. well, if you can't share, maybe you should sit in the corner until you learn to play nicely with the other children<g>.

but seriously, taking photos in an aquarum requires a waterproof housing, and holding your breath...

no, really, OK.

I haven't shot in an aquarium myself (I am thinking that you are having a problem shooting in a public sort of aquarium, not like a household fishtank), but I'd first want a polorising filter and some way of getting the flash as far off the camera as possible...

something like this: SC-29

would be a good way to start

A rubber lensehood would be good, if you could frame the image you want to capture with the lenshood right on the glass.

you'll likely get better answers if you could give more detail about the image you are trying to capture...

Lawrence

4. Ok - swiped this from Michigan Reefers forums :)  all credit goes to my buddy Paul (yes another photographer named Paul!) aka Junior http://www.smokinreefs.com/Smokin_Reefs/Home.html

5. you can also check out the photography section at http://www.reefcentral.com/

i used to be into salt water, but i cant afford these two hobbies at the same time. i loved my tank, and wish i kept it.

6. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Getting the flash off camera will help a lot, but the rubber lens hood will help just as much. Without those, you'll most likely get flare from the flash.

I have neither so I mostly rely on taking a lot of shots and hoping for the best. I also review on the lcd and delete a lot.

Here are some samples of mine:
    e650049e.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7b65e684.jpg

00b48a07.jpg

b6002d77.jpg

7. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I've had good luck with a polarizer as well.

8. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    I've been fairly successful by making certain that the camera is at an angle with respect to the glass. This way the flash is not reflected directly back into the camera. The higher the angle the better, but the tradeoff starts to come in distortion from the glass.

cheers

9. I've had success placing the lens right up to the glass (rubber lens hood as someone mentioned) and same with the flash. I use a sync cord and hold the flash in my off hand.

Keep your ISO low and Aperture fairly large depending on your desired DoF. Also bring a rag to clean the glass of finger prints/smudges. As someone also mentioned shoot straight on, not at an angle.

Good luck!

10. Great pics and advice above.

Few more tips and examples.

1) Clean glass inside and out. Nothing worse that getting an awesome shot only to have waterspots or smudges on the glass.

2) Manual settings work best IMO.

3) Custom WB or Cloudy -3 (for reef tanks to remove as much blue as possible) FW Tanks might need to adjust for more red light.

4) External Flash (SB800) mounted above tank works great for fish

5) For corals and other inverts a tripod works well

6) HDR is great for reef tanks. Note to self. Buy Photomatix! Get rid of nasty Photomatix watermarks.... ARggh!
    283665913_4d68d068f2_o.jpg

7) Quick snapshot. A little blurry. But hey kissing clowns. LOL
    54207037_2d05720144_o.jpg

8) Don't tell him that it is not an anemone!
    30482628_e0681d13fb_o.jpg

9) Best if you can turn off pumps to reduce bubbles etc. Woops pump was not off in this shot. What was I thinking? LOL.
    105107748_d16c5580c6_o.jpg

10) Macros can be fun.
    105108555_06278b5fc9_o.jpg

11) Oh, and try for different angles, POV etc. This is a really cool clam tank a friend of mine has.
    814469384_5e583c40da_o.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.