How do you walk around with your Gitzo 2530?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Odonata, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Curious as to how others carry their Gitzo 2530 tripod. I have the BH-55 head on top and bought a Kinesis shoulder strap (Y315 with Y204 QR straps). I loop one QR around the top of the center column "wing-nut" and the other QR fits snugly around the rubber twist locks of the three legs. It seems the rubber part really grips onto the nylon webbing of the strap. I haven't had any issues of slipping. I do hold the tripod most of the time so it doesn't move around and hit me or people. Due to the weight, the ballhead hangs down. Works for me so far. I can't think of any other way to carry the pod.

What does everyone else do? The bag it came with is a little large and not practical when walking around Central Park.

Thanks in advance.

-Eugene

2. I strap my Giottos MT8160 (pretty big tripod) to my CompuRover AW's tripod holder, it's very well designed and the bag helps distribute the weight (35lbs fully loaded)
    I've realized more and more that a good bag will help more than anything else.

3. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I carry mine very similarly to you Odonata. My strap is a bit more crude though. It's just a loop of Spectra webbing normally used for climbing. I just happened to have it as part of my climbing gear. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_molecular_weight_polyethylene#Fiber_applications). I just have a self tightening loop around the nut that tightens the center column and another self tightening loop around the legs just above the rubber twist locks. It's simple but works quite well. I also use it to hang things like a water bottle from the center hook for more stability. When I'm carrying it I sling it over my shoulder with the head hanging down and it across my back with my shoulder camera bag hanging the opposite direction. Makes for a good lightweight setup.

4. See this article. Some of these methods are bound to get some funny looks. :smile:

5. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    With my Slingshot 200, the diagonal strap works great for the Swashbuckler. That, and the hand carry, are my most used methods.

DAB

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    There are some funny ways to carry a tripod!

I use "Shoulder Carry" with the gimbal attached, and large lens hanging on, pointed down behind me. Works for me with a tripod or monopod.

7. I'm sorry, i really must chip in here. Why oh why does everything have to be analyzed to the N'th degree? I really can not believe im reading a thread about how to carry something and particularly quoting the model Number, it's like asking "how do i carry my D80? in my left hand or my right hand? i used to carry my D50 in my left hand but feel my D80 needs to be carried in my right, what do others do?"

Im out of here, I can no longer stand reading such trivial subjects, it's the same in every forum, i must have got out the wrong side of the bed today...

see ya, im off to go and take some pictures.

8. Thanks for the input and humor folks. I wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious since my old tripod had a dedicated "slot" near the head which allowed one to attach a shoulder strap.

-Eugene

9. This thread really *is* pretty silly. I have a 2530 and I carry it the same ways I carry any other tripod, although with a bit less effort since it's lighter.