1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How do you....

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by MD2595, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

There are a couple of ways of doing this, depending on working distance from subject to background. The easiest is to have a ton of distance between your dark background and the subject - such that the light on the subject doesn't spill onto the background. With enough distance a pure white background can be used. The next option is to use black velvet as your background, as it really absorbs light, but there is no substitute for distance. In tighter places, velvet (generally, the costlier, the better) can get the job done, but it's still about have enough distance that spill isn't a factor in the shot. Also, I think this is more easily accomplished with speedlights versus strobes. Strobes typically put out a lot more light and are slower compared to speedlights, which means that light gets more time to travel more distance, with a strobe.

3. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks, my son's team had a photographer shoot them stopping (and the ice spraying).

The photos turned out great (even though he was using Canon:biggrin:)  and he had strobes set up on the ice, but no background setup.

I was wondering how he did it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.