1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How does one shoot night shots like this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhorowitz, May 11, 2011.

1. jhorowitz

jhorowitz

Jun 27, 2006
    Tampa, FL
    http://vimeo.com/22439234

I understand how he's using an interval timer on a slowly moving pully system to turn these time lapse photos into a movie, but how exactly does one capture photos of the stars/galaxies with such amazing clarity?

Is this something that any of the new SLR's can accomplish? Just curious how its possible to take these shots.

2. I am sure other people can go into more detail but it comes down to these couple things:

1. NO LIGHT POLLUTION. you need to go somewhere with as little light pollution as you can. You can Google "Dark Sky Finder" to find a dark area near you.
    2. Shutter Speed. You need to find a good shutter speed for the focal length of your lens. The more zoomed in you are, the shorter your shutter speed needs to be to avoid the stars "trailing" and looking like pill shapes.
    3. ISO. THis is combination of the SS. In time lapses like this, you can get away with high ISOs because your cycling through the images fast enough that you aren't going to really see it.

I hope that helped and someone who knows the more specific details can fill in where I missed :smile:

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    start here. this is a thread that is on going here @ the cafe.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Not to mention that this is about the pinnacle of that sort of photography!
    The necessity for truly dark skies make it impossible for most of us in the US. I've only seen a technically "dark sky" once on a drive through Wyoming during the wee hours. It was one of the most spectacular sites I've ever seen! Google "dark sky chart" to find if you are fortunate enough to live within a daytrip of one...

5. I just have few things to ad
    - lots of time on hand
    - good tripod LOL
    - LOTS OF CAMPING TRIPS TO NOWHERE :D 

Honestly there is no way you can make something as beautiful in city - way to much light pollution

6. jhorowitz

jhorowitz

Jun 27, 2006
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks everyone! I live in SW florida, so i imagine there must be some decent sites nearby. We went camping down in 10,000 islands a month ago, wish I had my camera with me, it was desolate :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.