How does Sigma 10-20 fit into lens kit

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kgill, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kgill

Jul 25, 2007

I am in the process of putting together my kit of lenses.

I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 55-200mm VR. I already realize that I'm not much for longer shots, so I will be giving the 55-200mm VR to my husband when I buy him a D80 for his birthday.

I have just purchased the Tamron 90mm, and have left the idea to get the 17-55 or 17-35 (once it's closer to Christmas, I'll see what's available) and to get the 35mm f/1.4 AIS (regardless of the zoom). After that, I'll look into the two 85mms-- 1.4 and 2.8 PC.

I am wondering if the Sigma 10-20mm is a good addition or if anyone would recommend a 12-24 (Tokina or Nikon, I think they are competitive so it only matters which I find at a better price)

I guess the difference comes down to the 2mm on the wider end (since the 20-24 would be covered by another lens) and the quality of the Sigma vs. the quality of the 12-24 lenses?

Any insight you could provide would be useful and greatly appreciated.

2. A Sigma 10-20 finds its way into my bag for most of my travels. In fact, I think it may make more trips than any other lens. It always goes when the big heavy glass goes, and it is the last one to get pulled when I'm on a business trip and going light. On those the 18-200 always goes, and if a second lens can fit, it's the 10-20.
  3. I have been considering adding this to my inventory even though I have a 12-24. The extra 2mm is considerable and the IQ and sharpness are quite good. It compares favorably to the Nikkor 12-24 and Tokina 12-24 in my opinion. Of all the lenses in this range I like the Sigma 12-24 for its amazing lack of distortion on the short end, among other features. The 10-20 is not quite as good, still, it's a good performer with great handling and ergonomics.
  4. I own a 10-20 and love it. It's sharp, contrasty and produces great images. I originally was looking at a Tokina thinking the constant aperture would be great, but I find that since I use this lens primary for landscape work, the constant aperture isn't an issue. It's built like a tank and at 1/2 the price of the Nikon, its a no brainer IMO. You might want to check out this review on another forum that compares the four head to head (Tok, Nikkor, Tamron and Sigma). Good luck!
  5. sreeves31

Jun 25, 2007
    Mason, OH
    I also have the Sigma 10-20 and I have been very happy with it. That being said, I have not used it as much as I thought I would when I purchased it. 10 mm (15 mm full frame equivalent) is very wide and I find composition at that focal length challenging to say the least. Any problems I have had have been due to me and not the glass, however. Here is a sample shot at 17mm. original.jpg
  6. think interiors, churches, cafes, plazas, friends at a table : perfect for the 10-20
  7. Also think archetecture and landscapes. Before the Tokina 12-24 my widest lens was the 18-70 and I never could get a decent shot of the entry to the chapel at Garvan Woodland Gardens without 2 @#$% Pine trees in the way. 2 more MM on the wide end would be even more of a blessing. The HSM is too if you ever think you might have a D40 or similar body in your future. I didn't think about that initially when I got the Tokina but somehow I've got a D40 now.:redface: Oh well, at least its easy to manually focus .:wink:
  8. bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Another vote for the SIGMA 10-20. Always amazed @ the shots that I get with it.

9. kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    are the out of focus areas in these pics (toward the back and on the sides) due to the lens or the size (reproduction) of the image? Or am I imagining them?
  10. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    post just didn't work for me here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  11. Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    posted in error.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  12. klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Manh, I just got the Sigma 10-20 glass last Friday and I already shoot over 100 pics already. I love this lens....But my LowePro 170 seem running out of room, due to other 2 lenses I'm carrying :mad:
  13. yifeng

Jan 23, 2007
    I love my Sigma 10-20! Just came back from Grand Canyon...
  14. kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Very very nice shots!
  15. DStetter

DStetter Guest

The 10-20 was one of the first lenses I purchased and has been my favorite lens since. I find that it fits many situations very well (landscape, parties, both indoor and outdoor events) and most recently on the water where I live. This is a great lens for the money and I highly recommend it.

16. Nice shots yifeng.

I'm crazy about wide angle. This lens fits my need perfectly, although there are some distortion, it won't be visible as long as you don't shoot architecture.
  17. Rats! Not found :frown:

18. Great shots in this thread so far. I am in the sticky situation of which one...the Tokina or Sigma, and these pictures are not helping :wink:

I would get the Nikon if I win the lottery, up here in Canada it is a bit pricey (then again I would have to order the Tokina from the US anyways).

Keep posting the shots, I hope to make my decision in the next month or so, since I find myself missing the wider angles now with the 24-70.