How does the Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 compare to the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TMR Design, Aug 24, 2008.

1. I'm finally at the point where I'm considering an 85mm lens and I'm aware of how amazing the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 is but I was wondering if anyone owns and has done some testing and perhaps pixel peeping to compare it to the Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85.

I'd be interested to hear opinions and to see comparison images is possible.

2. I'm not going to be able to give you much help unfortunately, but I can describe my experience with the Zeiss 85mm f/1,4 ZF. Even wide open central sharpness is very good, and with an appropriate focusing screen, focusing isn't really a problem. Stopped down the performance is amazing. My copy has a slightly stiffer than ideal focusing action, but it's not generally a problem. One "problem" is that it takes 72mm filters, which is a bit awkward if you only own larger Nikon lenses which are mostly 77mm. Optically my research indicates that it is one of the weakest of the ZF lenses compared to the Nikon counterpart, so the performance is probably similar. Given that the price is essentially the same, I think the Nikon is almost a no-brainer for most people, unless you really prefer manual focus as I do.