How durable the D800 really is?

First a small background... I was considering X20 as an "action camera" for vacations this year. Than I did serious researcz and decided, that I wouldn't be happy with IQ of this little cool cam. Getting m43 was an option, but I don't want to build new system. So I decided to go with my D800 and lenses.

My only worry is: how durable D800 really is? For mountaineering for sure OK, for hiking as well, but what about biking? Not extreme biking, but rather all-day-long family biking trips in low mountains. So there will be some amount of vibrations etc. for sure. Is D800 strong enough to stand vibrations of this kind? Shall I carry it in my backpack, or can I put it into front bag mounted on the handle bars? And what about VR in my lenses? Like 70-200 VR II?

Would you invest in m43 to save D800 from "action", or should my Nikon gear handle such activities without any issue? Any opinion? Or better any expirience?

BTW, I mean this kind of biking, so it's not really extreme (pics taken with GX1, which I don't own any more):

P1030523.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1030577.jpg

P1030942.jpg

The problem will be if you should skid and take a nasty tunle the camera and lenses might not be so fortunate as you.

That is why I take and P & S while biking. Don't care if it takes a beating or not

Real Name
David
The D800 will be fine. I'd be more concerned with the 70-200 myself.

That said I picked up an m4/3 for family vacation stuff and could not be happier. Small, light, cheaper. And it doesn't get in the way.

I take mine with me on the bike, usually its in my BOB trailer with the tripod.

A couple weeks ago I accidentally hit my head with my D800 and lens attached (don't ask how! :tongue:). There was no visible damage to my camera or lens, but I think there was enough vibration that it affected my AF module, because afterwards all my shots were soft. I sent the camera to Nikon for adjustment and they fixed it. Anyways, I think if the camera is knocked hard enough it may throw something out of alignment. I don't think such alignment issues would be a problem with a mirrorless camera, at least with the camera bodies.

Real Name
Randy
I rode a camel into the Sahara (seriously) and no probs , well none with the camera anyway:smile:

Real Name
Colin Carter
A couple weeks ago I accidentally hit my head with my D800 and lens attached (don't ask how! :tongue:). There was no visible damage to my camera or lens, but I think there was enough vibration that it affected my AF module, because afterwards all my shots were soft. I sent the camera to Nikon for adjustment and they fixed it. Anyways, I think if the camera is knocked hard enough it may throw something out of alignment. I don't think such alignment issues would be a problem with a mirrorless camera, at least with the camera bodies.

when you said it affected your AF module i thought you meant the bang to your head affected your eyes since there was no visible damage to the camera and lens - :biggrin:

thats what you get when you don't read the full paragraph first.

While Colin is right (hah!) - no questions - D800 and lenses is not so good set for riding. Too risky, for so delicate and fragile things. Do not want to made you LOL, but would you just try Sony RX100. From ISO 100-200, I've seen prints 16x20in. Great, really great quality, believe me. Especially for family trip.

Real Name
Colin Carter
While Colin is right (hah!) - no questions - D800 and lenses is not so good set for riding. Too risky, for so delicate and fragile things. Do not want to made you LOL, but would you just try Sony RX100. From ISO 100-200, I've seen prints 16x20in. Great, really great quality, believe me. Especially for family trip.

Sony RX100 is a superb little camera, probably the best small premium compact on the market. ideal for travelling when the big gear gets in the way too much.

its not always best to have the biggest and the best, take with you what you need and enjoy the biking

I have done 10,000's kms on my motorbike with D300/D700/D800 and various lenses in all terrains and never had an issue.

20130118-103807-0001.jpg

I dropped mine from about 4' onto a quarry tile floor, it proved that quarry tiles are very hard and camera bodies aren't :(

Best part of $1500 to get the camera fixed, 50-500mmmlens was only $250 though :)

Everything returned to service, warranty intact, within 3 weeks - excellent service from Nikon and Sigma.

I put them in my top box (not pictured above) as they are easier to get to. Usually a padded bag or wrapped in coat ;-)

I have used a tank bag before without issues on other bikes.

how well does the 800 handle water exposure. anyone have experience with this?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom