1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How good are D3/D700 skintones?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by keko, Aug 18, 2008.

1. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    I remember a few threads were skintones of the D300 were compared to the D200. My understanding was that the D200 hah a slight edge over the D300.

Now to my question, how do skintones of the FX sensor compare to the DX sensors.

Anyone with enough experience to dare an opinion?

2. azarby

azarby

Sep 17, 2006
    Phoenix, Az
    Skin tones can be made to be whatever you want by modifying the in camera color parameters. Nikon has made avaialbe two new picture contol settings, and one of these is for portraits. Just download it and if it isn't what you want, tweak it for you own personal taste.

Bob

3. I like Natural Pic control with Saturation +1 and sharpness @ +5
    Portrait is great as well, but it works better on white/yellowish people, not trying to be raciest, but I think nikon optimized that for the japanese market

4. Most of the world is white/yellowish, maybe thats why the optimized it that why :D DDD

5. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    From my experience there are differences between my D50 and the D300 in how colors and tones are rendered.
    I'm sure that with enough PP skills RAW files can be made to look the same, but that's not my case.
    Rephrasing my question: do you think/feel that the skintones in terms of color and tone, using the same pic control settings provided by NIKON, are any different when comparing FX sensors with the D300 sensor?

6. Luis you had an excellent explanation by Bob. I have seen many shots of persons with the D700 and D300 and they looked great to me. Even if you do not have the colors you like you can always tweak them.
    Skin colors are very subjective. Some photographers like them warm, others do not. I tend to desaturate the color just a bit. Every photographer is different.
    The skin colors of the D200 are excellent but so are those of the D300 and to be super honest with you, I have always been very pleased with skin colors from all my Nikon cameras, but that is me.
    Do not agonize over this. If you are in the market for a D700 (same sensor as the D3) be assured you will be pleased with the skin tones and just keep in mind that if not entirely satisfied you can always tweak those colors.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

7. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Luis, the suggestion was not implying that you can tweak tones in post, but you can fine tune in-camera. I can't make a direct comparison of the 700/300, but I can tell you that I am doing FAR less post work on my 700 nefs than I ever did on my 200 files. I'm loving the 700 skin tones...

8. acolo63

acolo63

Aug 11, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Skin Tones

From a review of DPreview:
    Settings:

Neutral
    Hue -1
    Contrast +1

D2X1
    Hue -1

Neutral (My Favorite)
    Brightness -1
    Contrast -2
    Saturation -1
    Hue 0

9. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    I disagree.
    sensors are different and the way they render color is totally different.

Although tweaking colors in D300/700 is more customizable
    I tried hard to simulate colors of D200
    but I failed.

Apart from personal satisfaction
    there is always an objective color reproduction
    that should be achieved one way or another, e.g when reproducing a painting.

Well my rough conclusion
    is that more tweaking is not the way to accurate colors.
    I like machines that achieve exact colors easily...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

have u tried the d2x3 profile/curve or whatever?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    of course,all of them including manual ones.
    The real challenge is when I go shooting
    then I have to fix about 1500-2000 photos in different light conditions most of them using flash.
    Well, Lightroom has all of it (NX2 is way too slow for batch)
    BUT you need to be very very patient in achieving really good colours.

On the other hand, I can easily shoot in jpeg with my D200
    and get them printed instantly without reddish cast,
    with bright pink skin tones and color reproduction that reminds live flesh...
    (D200 in base ISO, above that it is useless)

12. The D700 has the edge out of the camera, I'm very pleased with skin tones so far (1 day). This image was processed in LR2 (which is by far the best color of any Adobe product to date) and only a tweak of WB impacted color:
    [​IMG]

My D300 files always take a little more tweaking to get the skin tones where I desire. D700 also has better transition from hilight to shadow (much like the mystique around the 5D when it first came out) resulting in a smoother overall image.

13. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    even in this perfect image
    I can detect a reddish cast in the green bokeh.
    After removing that slight cast you could increase saturation.
    [​IMG]

Give us some more examples but with no tweaking

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.