1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How good is Tamron 70-300mm/f4-5.6 VC corner and border sharpness?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jupeku, May 18, 2011.

1. jupeku

jupeku

Feb 15, 2008
    Finland
  2. That shot is horrible, get a 70-300 VR and be done with that range! :eek: 

3. jupeku

jupeku

Feb 15, 2008
    Finland
    Is not my photo. I think my current photos have poorer borders but maybe better in center. Some how i like "flat image quality" i mean border are almost same quality than center difference is acceptable is hard say but something which i dont see directly in real world things i dont make measurements etc. even is little poorer than lens which gives sharp centre but mess in borders. and what you mean horrible ? actually i see few problems but i also see some times poor NIkkor 70-300mm vr photos.
    ps. i think change any possible way. one is if i cannot replace stuff i fix this (is is broker) and sell after this fix. and i get little more money and buy NIkkor. Currently based two tamrons,and one sigma. (which is sharp in 6mp but have other problems quickly dull colors (i know cheap nikkors (18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 and 18-135mm/f3.5-5.6) also have dull colours but amount is much smaller) with something green in their hue always,and widest area distorts much which is actually area why i buyed it luckily i get i think all money what spend it ,and i talk lens which is often classed poor i understanded i talk 28-105mm/f2.8-4) i think i never buy again other lenses than Nikkor maybe.:) 

4. What I meant by horrible...
    It was shot at 300mm f5.6 and she's standing still. Yet, nothing is sharp :eek: 
    and the bokeh is funky. The Nikon version is simply stunning, I knew it wasn't
    your shot. :wink: I'd be hitting delete well before any thought of posting THAT. :biggrin:

5. jupeku

jupeku

Feb 15, 2008
    Finland
    Some photographers have better individual lens. but for example in this picture border areas looks better than what i have in my lens but stuff in middle (i mean animal which is most sharp i think) is poorer what my lens gives. Looks like shop what i used they send it fixing. when i get it or replacement lens i sell it and get little more money and buy

ps. to wide/normal needs i buy also better lens i almost sure now even still lens which is sended to fixing also is good when is good but i cannot trust Tamrons anymore i think.:(  i see four poor ones i think.(Two lenses what i say and two 17-50mm/f2.8 non vc models). Lens stuff going much pricey this what but i hope also much more reliable.

6. Focus is slightly off, that's the reason for the slightly blurry main subject.

The 70-300 VR wouldn't have rendered the background any different.

-- Markus
    -- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

7. In this shot the background is far from the focal plane. You should not judge sharpness of a lens, yours or other's, from images that are not in focus.

-- Markus
    -- Nikon lens reviews, photozone.de

8. jupeku

jupeku

Feb 15, 2008
    Finland
    Yes true but even them looks better i think. when we talk borders and maybe also CA.

9. The Tamron 70-300 VC is an excellent lens. Here is a sample I just took before I sold my Canon stuff @300mm. That said, now that Im Nikon I went with the VR.

5735289753_1eef8eaaed_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. Here's another one at 100mm

5735840228_9b84e981d7_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. jupeku

jupeku

Feb 15, 2008
    Finland
    This kind pictures dont tell much (small pictures and subjects where focused thing is center) border sharpness. Same problem with photozone.de test pictures test say borders should be very good. and stuff in middle is excelent but i dont know how big is difference in real world images.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.