How good is the 500mm F/4 AF-I?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 22, 2008.

1. So I'm thinking of purging the last of my non-Nikon telephoto lenses and selling off my Sigma 500mm F/4.5 HSM. I was thinking of replacing it with a 500mm AF-I, because I don't want to spend money on the AF-S, but still want a 500mm that won't break the bank. Any opinion on the AF-I version, that is if I can find one! Thanks!

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Repair parts for AFI motors may be hard to find. If the motor fails, you'll have an expensive MF lens. The AFI version is also the heaviest at 4.2kg, compared to 3kg for the 500/5P and 3.88 for the 500VR. As for optical performance, I'm sure it is excellent, as are all the Nikon super-teles. Apart from your Sigma being a Sigma, is there anything wrong with it?

3. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    MY sample of the Sigma is sharper than my shooting mates Nikon 500 AFI (vene after a visit to Nikon repair).. until you start using TC's than the Nikon wins.

4. Hi Jonathan I would keep the Sigma having had a couple of the 500 af-i neither of them were optically better than my Sigma with or without the converter, the other two drawbacks are the weight and the minimum focusing distance.

Phil.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.