How good is the weather sealing

Just got the D700 coming from the D300s. I know these bodies are suppose to be weather sealed but I can't let go of the fear. I have never really tested it. When its starts to rain at all I put it away.
I always get nervous about water getting in the top buttons. Is this a unnecessary fear?

I had a D3 and a D700 out in moderate rain and the D700 stopped working on the spot. Prior to that I avoided anything more than a light rain which I think is smart.

I would be careful with some of these claims you see around the internet about shooting in severe conditions and everything being ok. Sure fine for now but I start to wonder if the lifespan of the camera gets reduced? In my case the camera was fried. Also, if there was full disclosure on some of the for sale ads, even the most hardcore camera abusers would think a price reduction is justifiable due to the "abuse".

I often end up shooting in wet conditions and I will only do it with my D3 or D3s. The D700 seems to be fine with light rain but I wouldn't push it past that.

There is a fine line between paranoia and enjoying your gear to the fullest.

I've had my D700 and lenses out in severe dust/sand, as well as light sprinkling/rain. Never had a prolblem.

I would imagine that if you're changing lenses a lot, you risk getting the sensor/mirrors/lens-contacts wet, and if you're using a grip, that you risk getting water between the grip and body, and frying the contact points. Just be cautious, I say.

It's best to keep your cameras dry, but Nikon built these cameras for pro use and should function properly in certain harsh conditions. The D3S/D3X chassis' being the most weather sealed of the bunch.

Obviously, a list of times users shot in the rain with no ill effects will not be a guarantee that your camera will work the same way. With that said, I have had a D100, D200, D50, D1x, and D2x all out in some pretty wet stuff in the Pacific Northwest and in Alaska. I have never had a problem with either the cameras or the lenses.

I try very hard to keep the rig inside my poncho when not shooting, and I keep a towel under there as well. I periodically wipe off the gear with the towel as I go. The towel gets pretty wet, but it still takes off most of the water. When I am done shooting, I leave the camera out in a dry warm room or car with the lenses extended (if they telescope) and wipe them off with a dry towel. With telescoping lenses, I work them back and forth, wiping them each time until they are completely dry. I then let them sit out for a few hours to make sure they dry out.

I enjoy taking pictures, and I have some wonderful shots with rain/mist in the background. The cameras and lenses are probably more rugged than you think.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom