how happy are u with your d2x? now

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by marc, Jun 28, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

just a little shopping expedition, i had focus problems and finally nikon sent me a new camera

no problems since.
    in fact the camera amazes me.

i have in spight of everything written, not changed my shooting style, in fact i shoot the same subjects and the same way i have been shooting for many years.

the quality just keeps getting better.

i would like to here from other d2x users, how is your experience going? and are you happy you spent $5000 , are you getting what you expected?
    do you think the camera makes you better?

marc

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I've been happy with all the D2X cameras I have used so far.

The camera won't of course make me any better or worse photographer, since it isn't the one taking the pictures (I am).

3. marc

marc Guest

bjorn

thanks for replying, i agree, it is the photographer, unfortunately, there are way to many who purchase these expensive cameras, believing the camera will make them have better photos

this as we know is not the case

love your website , you are a wonderful photographer

marc

4. I shot film for 40 years and I think I took some pretty good photos. The D2x does take some getting use to,(i.e. 1.5x factor and its effects, sharpness settings, smaller DOF range etc.), but I am very happy with the camera. I too am on my 2nd camera. The first had major focus problems. This one works great. I do love the feel and the response. It feels just like my film cameras.

Since I didn't process my film shots I wasn't prepared to all the work-flow digital required. Most of my film shots looked great when I got them back from the lab. With so many choices one can set in a digital camera makes for more decisions before one shoots. As I am getting use to it, I have to say I think it is a good feature. (Still have to fight bracketing f stops manually, did it too many years). I realize one can set the sharpness to +2, set the camera to P, and shoot away. But that makes it a $5000 P&S....

With my film shooting, I didn't worry about FF or BF issues. Seems stopping down took care of 99% of all concerns. Maybe the old lens had better quality control and the problem ones didn't hit the streets. I might be over reacting but I do think Nikon had a quality control problem at first with the D2x, and it looks like they have corrected it now. Even my first 17-55mm lens was screwed up. The one I have now works great. the 70-200 is super new and I have had zero problems with it. (knocking on wood...LOL)

I must say the 70-200mm VR takes great shots. Love it.....

Even with all the problems in the beginning (Late Feb...Had one of the first ones), Nikon & the camera store stood behind its products and I am very happy with this camera and my new lenses

Dan

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Great camera - I'm extremely happy with it. Like others, I have found that the D2X requires greater attention to technique. I also find that I need higher shutter speeds to avoid camera shake than I do with the D70. Maybe that difference will diminish with practice.

6. In a controlled setting - home studio using flashes, I am very happy with it.

Out and about I am not there yet. I often bring the D2X and a D70 when out shooting. I am still happier with the images coming out of the D70 overall. The D2X is capable of a lot more, but I haven't gotten it nailed down as yet.

I just hit 3,800 shots the other day. I hope to achieve second nature use of this camera by 6,000 images or so. :)

Caveat: pure amateur here. Been shooting a very long time, but my knowledge lies in making computers process images, not coaxing cameras to capture them. Yet.

7. Today is my one week anniversary of D2x ownership. Mine is performing flawlessly. I couldn't be happier. My business is portraiture so I need the capability to go very large with my prints. The D2x delivers. I am one happy camper.

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This disease called photography bit me because I wanted a nicer camera to take digital pictures of my kids. That was the D70. Then LLD found its way into my system. With better lenses and an increasing knowledge I hit the limits of the D70. Then came the D2x. It has all the features I need and many more. So far I have had zero problems with it and the images it produces in print amaze me still. The best $5000 I have ever spent on a hobby because it gives back. :)

9. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I really like my D2X. I've been shooting with it for a couple of months now and it never ceases to amaze me. The D2X is very unforgiving though. Get it right cause the high megapixels will show all your mistakes :( Before the D2X I shot the D2H. That body is flawless, the quality of the pictures is fabulous. I gave the wife the H and got an HS. I think it's my new favorite. I'll shoot both but I can easily see me using the HS more than the X.

Paul

10. marcus

marcus Guest

I just found out my D2X has got the back focusing problem. I have to bring it to Nikon Canada tomorrow. :(

11. Marc,

I am real happy with my X. It will be a very long time before I get another camera because I don't think there will be one that can beat this for a long time to come. Who knows it may be next week since I said this but still I'm keeping mine.

I love everything about it, however if there was one think I could change, it would be the LCD to be more accurate on it's colors. I'm hoping that maybe firmware will fix this in the near future.

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Marcus

I'm curious as to how you just found out that you have "the back focusing problem".

How long have you been shooting it and did you notice it in real life shooting or on a test chart?

13. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Yes the D2X is a winner in the proper hands.

Birger

14. marc

marc Guest

thanks to all for there replys

the d2x, is a wonderful camera, that produces amazing photos

the detail is great

if i knew, how to post, i have a picture of the grand central staion in nyc
    the picture was taken from 7 cith blocks away, using d2x and 24-120vr

you can see the color of the mortar in the joints, between the brick, it is unreal

i would love to show it, but do not know how

marc

have a great fourth everyone

15. marc

marc Guest

this is picture, what do you think

how do i post it here?

[​IMG][/img]

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. marcus

marcus Guest

I found out the back focusing problem of my D2X after shooting a church meeting event last weekend. Some of the pictures are back focused. I don't have any test chart to test the camera focusing system.

18. Only one prob....

When using the 105DC you have to overtwist it one and start to turn it as if you are taking it off

It will not focus... just buzz noise.

I went to nikon it torrance for a hour at their counter
    with their lens
    With their demo camera

same thing.

EVERYthing else is great... down to the Sandisk Extreme 3

19. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I dropped my first one onto a gravel river bank and punched a hole through the back of the body and destroyed the lens and camera mounts. I loved the camera up to that point. NPS repaired the camera in just 5 days time, and it's now working perfectly again. I bought a second D2X after dropping the first one, and it also works perfectly. My only gripes are software related. I hate Nikon Capture (it will crash my laptop computer if I attempt to open a file with over 50 NEF's). ACR 3.1 works more smoothly, but white balance data isn't interpreted. Bibble works well, but I'm not used to the interface of that program.

20. William

William Guest

In general I'm very pleased- but...

For underwater photography with a housing, my research so far has not revealed any for less that approx $3000 versus about one half of that price for a D70 housing.

Although I need no convincing that the X is a state-of-the-art underwater camera, that price tag is really excessive for me at present...so the choice is clear that I'm going to use my current Coolpix 5600 with its Nikon housing at 5MP, and try to add an Aquatica A70 in order to take advantage of much shorter shutter lag and DX lenses at 6MP.