How has Nikon Cafe changed since you've been a member?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaucamera, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Nikon Cafe has grown by leaps and bounds since I first became a member over two years ago. None of us who have participated can thanks Flew and the Bramletts enough for getting the Cafe started and for maintaining the Cafe during all of this growth.

A giant thank you to Frank, Patrick and Leigh and all the rest of you who have contributed to the success of Nikon Cafe.

From a users perspective I'm wondering if you might be interested in sharing your thoughts on how the Cafe has changed since you've been a member?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. I also very much enjoy being a Cafe member.
    Things that have changed:
    - explosive growth in the membership. When I joined we were just a handful and membership was by invitation / reference :smile:
    - I now know a number of members personally. I have had the pleasure to meet a number of members from Canada and the US. We have met as they traveled in my area and I have met a number of members when I attended this year's Annual Get Together in Huntsville, AL. That must have been my most satisfying change: meeting fellow photographers in person.
    - A growth in the fora in the Cafe. I find that through cautious management (one cannot implement each and every request) there now is a very attractive menu of fora available to all of us. Easy to navigate and brimful of information / sharing.
    - A personal one: I have since a while joined the moderator team of the Cafe. Believe it or not, but it entails a good bit of work to be a "participactive" member of the Team. It has confirmed what I knew already: the Cafe Management is totally dedicated to provide a pleasant and respectful place where we can share our hobby / profession.
    - Another personal one: My first DSLR was the D100. Moving through the D1x and D2H I now shoot with the D2x - what a fantastic tool!
    Also, I have completed the migration from AF lenses to a system that is made up of just Ai(S) primes (one AF left: 180mm f/2.8)

I join Virginia in a heartfelt thanks to Patrick, Frank and Leigh for starting the Cafe and to several key administrators who have assisted tremendously with their dedication and expertise to make the Cafe what it is today.

Onward to the future! :smile:

3. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    A few moons past I was 'informed' about the cafe, I think it's Gale's fault. :smile: It is still one of the best places on the web; easy company, intelligent discussion and above all, information from people with experience.

That experience is always imparted with politeness and a sense of humour.

Now if Leigh would stop producing tiny Bramlett's (If there is such a creature) then we could really get this website rocking!!:biggrin::biggrin:

4. From a small handfull of members I have watched the Cafe grow to be a full fledged, well functioning, photography forum. It is a great place to hang out and to share thoughts and ideas about photography and also to share images that we have taken. I thank all the members for making this the great place that it is.

5. I have been here for awhile now. The cafe is still friendly informative place. I have been very busy lately but I still try to find some time to visit. I have met some great folks here.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Virginia! I'm sure the Bramletts and Flew appreciate the gratiutude, and dare I say it, love that comes from this huge and somewhat distributed family! I know that I do! It is certainly an honor to be a member of the team here (even though, as Frits says, it takes a bit of work!)

Thank you to all our members for bringing your time, talent and best of all, photography to this place!

7. I've made (and shot with) many new friends and such, bought farrrr too many lenses thanks to being exposed to more and more temptations (PJohnP is a very bad influence!), ventured to places I would not have thought to photograph, learnt so much more to expand my photography horizons and shared many laughs and tears with the good folks here.

I want to thank all involved in the creation and maintenance of the Cafe for all your endeavours and your hard work - greatly appreciated. I want to thank all who have helped me grow as a photographer.

8. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I have been here for a while. It used to be easy to go through all the posts a couple of times of day. Now if I tried that, I would never have time to work. A lot of times I just scan over all the new posts and check out what catches my eye.

It is still a great site and the only one that I really participate in. And like Frits. It has really been a pleasure to meet some of the folks from here.

9. Hi all...
    I'm fairly new here, but...have enjoyed the comraderie y'all folks participate in.
    It is nice to see people want to gather together, even from all around the world, with a bit of photography and a lot of fellowship mixed up together.

Congratulations, y'all...on a forum well and successfully established!!!
    And of course, a big thank you for putting this all together...

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I miss my retouching buddies alot and all we used to do and the fun we used to have and all the learning we enjoyed.

Other than that I have formed some very wonderful friends and met many and love them all

Chris 101 is reallly a special guy:>)))))) Don't ask he just IS...lolol

There are to many special people to me, I can not even begin to mention them all..........

11. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I think that the Cafe is the very best place for Nikon owners on the web. A few Canon folks to kept us honest in a friendly way and people with lots of experience and talent.

Honest, I used to spend a lot of time at DP, Fred Miranda (really some great images there), and Nikonians. Well due to time constraints and such, this is really on Online photoclub.

And to tell the truth, since I got my first Nikon in 1970, I don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything else.

I would like to thank all from the people who started it, to the moderators, to all who share knowledge and experience in all the various areas.

It's just a great place to visit and share.

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Virginia,

Thanks for the thread. Its the great membership here that makes this a wonderful place to hang out and share photography together.

I have so many friends and now family that I would not have had had it not been for the common interests that we share.

It so much fun to participate with everyone. Although I've been terribly busy with the move of my company and my new little boy, i'm hopeful to share more pictures with my family and friends here real soon.

Thanks to and the entire NikonCafe.

Cheers!

13. As Frits mentioned our growth has necessitated some adjustments but every change is exhaustively discussed by the entire staff before being implemented. We strive to keep the "rules" to a minimum.

What hasn't changed is the feeling of commaraderie throughout the membership. Who would expect folks to share their joys and heartbreaks with others across the internet? Who would dare to loan their equipment to others without pausing a moment. Patrick did this for me only days before leaving on a vacation overseas. Members loan out their equipment to other members for a "look see" without hesitation. How many babies have we welcomed into the world here at the Cafe...how many marriages and weddings have we seen and celebrated vicariously here? All this keeps going on and keeps me here every day.

Thanks to you all. Rich

14. Not that I have been here that long but long enough not to be considered a new person by newer members... :rolleyes:

The best place on the Internet.

15. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I wasn't here at the beginning, so from my perspective this place hasn't changed all that much. Yes, personalities come and go, some issues come and go, (even I come and go), but the steadying hand of the core group keeps this place humming.

Yes, I see images or topics that make me inwardly groan because I've seen them too many times already, but I also keep learning new things, and keep seeing things that make me go Huh! or Wow! or Cool!.

Friendly, interesting, enlightening, inspiring. Here's to not changing too much.

DAB

16. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Grow...well I don't know, but I will take this opportunity to thank Patrick and Frank. I joined the Cafe just a few days after its start and really need to thank Harris "Backdoctor" for cluing me in on this place.

17. I'm relatively new here (maybe a novice??), but I have to say that I appreciate the patience and professionalism of the more experienced who have provided me with much advise, guided my recent body and lens purchases and offered critiques and advise on the creative side. This is a trusting (and for me a trusted) community -- thanks to all who keep it running / thriving!

Paul

18. I don't know that I've experienced any significant changes since joining the group here at the Cafe. I do know I've met a lot of really fine people, who've helped me a lot. People who have taken time to contact me personally. I remember when I accidentally deleted a whole CF card after I thought I had the data on file and didn't. Patrick took personal time to get into my computer (because I'm so computer illiterate) and install and run a program to save my butt. (and all the images) Can't speak highly enough of the guy. There are people who have taken their time to walk me through things, simple to them, complicated to me, so I could learn more of this new digital stuff. There has even been a member who sent me a 1 GB memory stick to help upgrade my computer.........................at no charge to me. I can't speak highly enough of this forum and the individual membership. I have experienced nothing but good here. One of the few open forums I frequent which I can say that about. I tell everyone I come across who could benifit from being here what a wonderful place it is. From the administrator, to the moderators, and down to the individual membership, this is the finest bunch of people I've ever shared a forum with.

19. I haven't quite been here a year and a half, so I can't really comment on how the Cafe has changed. What I can comment on is how the Cafe has changed me. I've had the pleasure and good fortune of meeting and interacting with some wonderful people that have influenced my photography, my thinking, and in a way, my life. I'm certainly the better for it.

20. The Cafe has grown a ton in the 2 years I've been here. Many of those who were the backbone of the group and who posted so frequently when I first joined are still here, though quieter. Lots of new people have come and gone, or come and stayed. The comradery has only gotten stronger.

For me, as with all things, the relationships are the most important thing here. I've met dozens and dozens of wonderful people through the Cafe who I would probably never have met otherwise, some who live 10 minutes from me, others who live across the country or in another country.

I feel beyond blessed that people here have made my family a part of their extended family. I love it that, at the mere mention of the word "Alabama," my daughter's eyes grow as big as saucers, and she excitedly tells everyone within earshot about the Nikon Cafe and her friends in Alabama and how much fun she has there. It's good stuff, moreso than I can even put into words.