How hot and cold does it get in your neck of the woods?

I think I could (well I think I could) take the cold better than the heat the older I get.
I suppose you can keep putting on clothes when its cold, when it's hot there's only so much people want to see.
I think that is very true. The hardest part about winter for me is just getting around in the snow and ice. Also the short daylight hours are tough.

My front yard February 2018. Temperature can range from -10°F to +105°F. The average for winter is +25°F and average for summer is 80°F.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Bill
Upper Wind River Valley here. The Wind part is very real but it does keep us a little warmer in the Winter and a little cooler in the Summer. We had only a few below zero F nights last December and it got into the 90's only twice last Summer.

No white stuff on the ground here.

Last night I shot a soccer game, 55F with WIND. I don't know how much the wind chill was, but I was so cold (even with SIX layers), that I gave up after the first of two games.
I have seen the field temp down into the high 40s.
Area temp sometimes down into the 30s. The ice alarm on my car would light up.

On the high end, the highest was about 110F.
HOT used to last only a few days, but in the last few years, hot sometimes ran more than a week. And several times a year.

We live in the mountains of the Alaska Range. We have snow from September until at least May. Our winters aren't overly cold but very snowy, normally not colder than -18°C, but some times it will be -30°C. Right now we have over a meter of snow on the ground. Our summers are cool, with highs rarely over 20°C. North of us in Fairbanks, winter can be extremely cold with temperatures falling to -50°C or sometimes even colder. Summer can hit 37°C in Fairbanks.

Here's an image of our front yard from a few years ago. This time of the year, sun does not hit these mountains, as it is now rising in the SSE, and setting in the SSW and is very low in the sky. Currently we are losing 5 minutes of daylight/day. The second image is sunrise today at 10 am, where it is rising behind the mountains.

Last edited:
We live in the mountains of the Alaska Range. We have snow from September until at least May. Our winters aren't overly cold but very snowy, normally not colder than -18°C, but some times it will be -30°C. Right now we have over a meter of snow on the ground. Our summers are cool, with highs rarely over 20°C. North of us in Fairbanks, winter can be extremely cold with temperatures falling to -50°C or sometimes even colder. Summer can hit 37°C in Fairbanks.

Here's an image of our front yard from a few years ago. This time of the year, sun does not hit these mountains, as it is now rising in the SSE, and setting in the SSW and is very low in the sky. Currently we are losing 5 minutes of daylight/day. The second image is sunrise today at 10 am, where it is rising behind the mountains. View attachment 1650239View attachment 1650240
Steve,
Are those Tundra Swans in the lower right of the first photo?
Living on the plains, I miss the mountains.
A

They are trumpeter swans, and they were on a frozen lake in front of our house. It was May, but there was no open water, so they left and returned later to nest.

Real Name
Carl
How cold was it?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom