How hot is too hot??

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Sometimes my MacBook Pro gets uncomfortably hot sitting on my lap. My dashboard pop-up has a feature that shows among other things the CPU A temperature which at this moment is fluctuating between 133-139 degrees f, but was as high as 173 degrees a few moments ago. Is this normal, or should I be concerned? I tried calling Apple support but of course they are closed.

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    I'm not sure what the average range is for mine, but what processes are running when it is getting to the high temperature?

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca

David, it's a new (4 months old) MBP dual core 15". Interestingly, I found this on the Apple website:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30612

Specifically this quote "For prolonged use, place your iBook, PowerBook, MacBook or MacBook Pro on a flat stable surface. Do not leave the bottom of the computer in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

I was able to get through to Apple service this morning and the guy suggested that I take it to an Apple store and have it looked at.
    More later as things develop.

4. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Mike,

What apps do you have running on your MBP when you get those temperature readings?

For me, unless I'm doing something intensive like Photoshop, my CPU A temperature is usually around 115-120 (that's with Firefox running along with maybe a couple of other minor apps).

I have read about people getting hotter temps when they have intensive programs running.

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Mark, this A.M. when it reached 173 deg. I was running a CD (Photoshop tutorial) and CS2 at the same time bouncing back and forth between the 2 programs and I had Safari internet on. Come to think of it, I don't recall it getting as hot without the CD player, which I rarely use. The guy at Apple did say not to trust the non-Apple software that measures the temp, since it is probably measuring internal temps. But the thought that my processor is approaching 200 deg f is a little scary.

6. Ghunger

Ghunger

Apr 2, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not a Mac person so please forgive my ignorance, but don't the new Macs run Intel chips? If so the new Intel chips have thermal protection circuits that can throttle back the CPU if it gets too hot to prevent damage. The suggestion to not leave the computer on your lap is a good one. Your legs essentially insulate the bottom of the case so they can't cool as efficiently. Probably ok if you're just surfing the net, but running lots of programs, esp. ones like PS is probably too much heat for sitting on your lap directly. Maybe you should look into a laptop cooler? HTH

7. MarkR

MarkR

Jun 28, 2006
    Brighton,MI
    Mike,

I have seen a ton of threads at MacRumors concerning the temperature of MBPs. It does vary greatly depending on what is running at the time. Here are some averages with different software running:

Aperture: 157F
    Photoshop + Other Software: 165F

Mine will pop up to around 150F when I am converting a bunch of audio files at the same time. Like I said before, normal temp for me with just Firefox running is around 120F.

Some users report temps as high as 90C (194F) under load. If it gets above 200F, I would start getting worried.

I think based on what you are running, your temps are probably within a normal range, but just a little too warm for your lap. :smile:

8. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thaks for all the help!!!

Thanks for the info Mark, I'm going to get a board or something to set it on ASAP. That ought to help. and I'll keep an eye on the temp.

Brian, do they make a laptop cooler that'll hold a six-pack?? :rolleyes:

9. Yes, the MBPs have a history of being pretty warm or downright toasty, especially the first-generation MBPs. My 15" Core Duo does get pretty warm when I'm using it but I never have it on my lap; it is either on the aluminum iLap or on the foldable APC laptop support that I use with it when I'm out on my deck or when I'm traveling. The iLap is available through Raindesigns and also is in some stores. I've seen it at Microcenter. Not sure if they carry them at the Apple store, too, but they should! I bought the APC thingy at Microcenter a year or two ago and it's great for traveling. Several years ago I used a fan-driven laptop cooler with my old Windows laptop and it, too, was very useful.

10. Yeah well I fell asleep last year with a MBP sitting on my chest. Turned on, AC adapter attached.

Ie, it wasn't going to go to sleep any time soon.

I had a decent "chest burn" for several days. :biggrin: