how long have you been "shooting" for?

i've been curious as to how many years of photographic experience everyone has under their belt, so how many years have you been suffering from NAS for? :tongue:

I've only been shooting for a year, picked up my first D80 in July, then a D300 in sept, and a D700 in June. I am hooked! mind you, i'm still a broke college self-funded student :tongue:

how about you?

I bought myself a Nikkormat back in 1977 and used that until 2000, having replaced the shutter, and repaired a few times. Loved it. But I often used during that time a simple point and shoot, because it was difficult to use for a new mom (not a new mom anymore)..... time passed by and my dh bought me a D80. HOOKED again! Just purchased a D700 a month ago and LOVE my renewed hobby again. SO its been many years and will continue on!

A little over a year for me, but not really.

I was a former Canon user and picked up a XTi to learn the hobby about a year ago, but never got into it too much - didn't really have the time. Started getting back into it earlier this year, and the wife bought me a D90 for our anniversary and have been getting into it much more the past few months.

About a year for me, I am probably as hooked as you are Johnny, but I have held back purchasing because I am a way broke college student. I am constantly seeking out deals and looking at D300's for sale, and planning my next lens purchases. It's horrible, :p

Well, by my reconning I have shot photo's for about 1 hour or less. I figure 9000 shots on my D300 at an average of 1/125s per shot plus a similar number on each of my previous camera's ..... :)

I have had some sort of camera since I was young. But I really started to be more serious about photography almost 6 years ago in August 2003. I purchased my first Nikon, an N65, and after that an F4s the following year. I really have not looked back since and enjoy using all my gear.

God Bless,
David

I've shot w/ a Kodak film camera back in 95 in high school but that was very brief. Then a company I worked for bought a Sony Mavica FD-91 and I was hooked! This was back in 2000. So I've been "shooting" point and shoot since 2000, but I only got serious with DSLRs around 2007.

Shooting since 1977, but have no need to own the most or the Latest and the Greatest.
A friend of mine thinks exactly the same as you do, he's still currently shooting film with a Bronica ETRSi and does everything manually. I've been astounded by his abilities shooting film, that i'm in the market for a F100/F5 for the time being, and if I really love it, I might make the switch over to medium format and get a Hasselblad 501CM :tongue:

Going on my 4th year I think. I still don't know why I picked up a camera in the first place but I'm sure glad I did seeing as it's my job today :smile:

My first SLR was bought in 1986, I shot that Canon T-70 until 2001 when I bought my F5. Went Digital in 2005 and over the last two years have migrated back to film. My last two weekend trips, I left the D3 at home. I now shoot everything from Minox to 8x10 plus digital.:smile:

Let me get this straight. You picked up a D80, then a D300 and now a D700??? And you are a college student. Who's paying for college???

Used film 1975 - 2007 Went digital in 2007. May dig out film again for some projects I have in mind.

Let me get this straight. You picked up a D80, then a D300 and now a D700??? And you are a college student. Who's paying for college???
I am. financial aid + grants = win. :smile: Kinda off topic, but I pay for my car, insurance, gas, etc. the only thing i don't pay for is the roof over my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
financial aid + grants = win. :smile:
The way I see it the rest of us taxpayers own at least a portion of those so I'll take my turn with the D700 in August, thank you very much.

I have had cameras off and on since I was a kid, but didn't get serious about it as a hobby until I purchased a D80 2 years ago.

The way I see it the rest of us taxpayers own at least a portion of those so I'll take my turn with the D700 in August, thank you very much.

I have had cameras off and on since I was a kid, but didn't get serious about it as a hobby until I purchased a D80 2 years ago.
I'm not cheating the financial aid system though. my dad is self employed, and my mom is unemployed. My dad was 'retired' for about 2 years, till he got bored of retirement and wanted to make a little extra money, so he decided to open up another auto repair shop, which he totally regrets because of the slumping economy. because we had no income for the last 2 years, Financial aid was able to pay for almost all of my college tuition. The rest of the money is from work.

realistically - since I was about 6 (I'm 35 now) started with old 110s/instamatics then P&S film cameras - occasionally my dad would let me shoot with his Sears film SLR growing up - but I didn't start getting serious until I got my first digital SLR until 2 years ago (used D50)

33 years ago was my first SLR. A fully manual Minolta, I still have it, it stills works. Even the flash works. No auto focus, no TTL, all manual.

I got my first "real" camera in 1989...an Olympus Superzoom 330. Two years later, I was given an old Canon AE-1 manual camera with a couple off-brand lenses. I started shooting a beat up Nikon F3 in 1995. Sold it and several great manual lenses in 1998 after a divorce. Didn't have another camera until 2002, when I bought a used N90s. Got my first DSLR in 2005 (D70), and haven't looked back.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom