How many cameras?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andyc, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Hi all.

Yesterday I spent several hours taking a variety of photos with my D50. I was changing lenses ( 18-55 to 70-300 and back) rather often as I saw different photo opportunities. How common is it amongst photographers to carry two cameras to alleviate the need for all this lens changing?

Thanks for any comments

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  2. Many do, pros and amateurs alike. I have carried two or more for nearly as long as I've been shooting. There are many reasons, chief among them being, 1) the ease of use when not having to change lenses and, 2) using different cameras for different purposes. For example, I normally carry two D1X bodies for general shooting of all types and a D2H for shooting and tracking birds.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I always carry 2 to keep from changing lenses: D2X & D200. The 2) exceptions are: When shooting video, I carry only 1 still (D200), and when walking miles all day at CES I carry the lightest I own (D80).

4. GastheerG

GastheerG Guest

I the time we used film I have 3!
    one loaded with dia positive
    one loeded with color
    one loaded with B&W

So two is a great improvement

5. Two is very common to insure against failure and to minimize lens changes. I often have 3 along, 2 digital and one film body.

Sean

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    When I shot film, I had 5 bodies (all F5's). I'd carry three at a time, and rotate the extra two in whenever I got back from a trip. With digital, I have three bodies (2 D2X, 1 Kodak SLR/N), though most of the time, I only use two.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

2 d50's here for basically the same reasons already stated...and, i'ma buyer fora 3rd ($350 or less) minty, with 1k clicks or less.

8. I usually carry two when on "photocentric" outings. Either the D2X and D200 to avoid swapping lenses (at racetracks, for example, I'll have the 70-200 on one and the 300 on the other) or the D2X and the IR converted D50 - like having two different films loaded.

Even when not actually carrying two, if the photos are important I'll have a second body in the car or in luggage.

9. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi andy-

i rarely carry two bodies. i don't mind switching lenses in the field too much, so i don't see the need to carry two bodies. the few times that i've had two was when i needed a backup body in case the main one failed.

i prefer to travel light, and i'll have one body and two lenses at most when i'm out shooting.

ricky

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I frequently utilize two bodies when shooting....one with a 300mm and the other with a 70-200mm.

11. I shoot mainly on the streets and always carry three cameras, all loaded with 100 ISO slide film (that's film. F....i....l....m. Think real hard and you'll probably remember it). The reason for three bodies of course is so I have the wide range of lenses I like for the kind of shooting I do.
    motorized F2AS with Zoom Nikkor 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus
    motorized FA with Tamron SP 35~105 2.8 AIS manual focus
    motorized eyelevel F with Samyang 17~28 f4~4.5 AIS manual focus.
    That way I've got everything covered from 17 to 200mm with from 35 to 200 at 2.8 as needed.
    The big bag O' Nikons. Don't leave home without 'em.

12. Film? Is that that plastic-looking stuff? [said the man whose refrigerator is at least half full of the antiquity]

If I'm nature shooting out in the boonies, I keep a big lens on tripod with one body, and a lighter lens on another body for shots that aren't suited to the big & heavy rig. Now all I need is a mule to carry it all.

13. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I usually carry both bodies, one for macro use and the other with my trusty 18-200VR. When I say carry both I may leave one in the car but you never know when you need to change your subject matter for the day and due to dust issues if I can eliminate one more lens change I'll take it. - Jeff

14. I carry three bodies. I have one camera mounted with a D2X with a 17-55 and sb-800 flash at all times, a D200 with a 70-200 VR at all times and another D2X mounted with either a 300 f/2.8, 200-400 VR or my 500 f/4.5. I usually carry all three for heavy field work.

15. I also carry 2 body's with me on planed shoots but one one body for daily use.

16. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    when I'm out shooting for fun for myself I just take one camera, but when shooting for serious stuff I take 2 DSLRs and often a film camera with either B&W film or Velvia. It's just very handy to have my D50 with a 50mm on it for portraits and lifestyle photos and my D2H with the 10-20 or 18-70 for action shots :smile:

17. I generally go out into the field with 3. My D1x is almost always with me along with my FM2n. That is my ultimate back-up. The other camera is one of my extra cameras, either an F4, F5, or N90s. I firmly believe that you can never have to many back-ups.

God Bless,
    David

18. RForshey

RForshey Guest

I always carry two bodies. Usually one is fitted with the 12-24 the other with the 28-70.

19. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thanks all for the response. I think I will be investing in another camera, I quite like the D80 and D200. I worry that with too much lens changing dust and other muck may get into the workings.

Best regards
    Andy