How many CF cards do you own?

I know that I need to get some larger capacity CF cards now that I've got a D2x.

How many CF cards do you own and what are the sizes. Also what percentage do you shoot NEFs

I have
4x 256MB CFs that I bought for D100
4x 512MB CFs that I bought for my D2H

I shoot 100% NEFs

Real Name
Chris
I just had a 1GB Transend 45X card fail last weekend. I'm replacing it with 2 512 Sandisk Ultra IIs. Although it's working now, I will skip the Transend across a lake.

I have 3 x 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards, one 1 GB Sandisk Ultra, one 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II, and one 4 GB Hitachi microdrive.

I shoot 99% in RAW, so the microdrive stays in the D2X most of the time.

I use 2-Lexar 80x 1 GB cards and 1-Lexar 80x 512 MB card. As I move to raw, I'm sure I'll need to add more. Anyone using the Sandisk Ultra III?

I have a 2 gig 80x Lexar. 1 gig Lexar 80x. 2- 512's.

Edit... Oh yeas I have a 256 in my CP5000. :>)))

Have a 32 mg. lololol (useless)

K

Ken-L

I have 1 Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, and yesterday I ordered a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB (eBay "Buy It Now" for $135).

1 4GB Sandisk Extreme III
1 4GB Sandisk
1 2GB 80x Lexar
1 1GB 40x Lexar
1 512MB 40x Lexar
1 1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD (for CP7900)

1 4GB Hitachi MD (now a doorstop)

Anyone have any good suggestions on a low profile CF wallet?

_/oe

N

nfoto

I usually bring with me 10-20 GB worth of cards on a field trip. (Plus 200 GB of disk storage). Most cards are 1 GB which I found is the best trade-off between the need for maximimum image files on a given card, and the adverse impact of a lost card.

I

IxLr8

1 - 4 gig extreme iii
1 - 2 gig extreme ii
1 - 2 gig lexar 80x
2 - 1 gig lexar 80x
1 - 30 Nikon MSV-01
1 - 100 Gig Laptop

nfoto said:
I usually bring with me 10-20 GB worth of cards on a field trip. (Plus 200 GB of disk storage). Most cards are 1 GB which I found is the best trade-off between the need for maximimum image files on a given card, and the adverse impact of a lost card.

How many frames do you shoot in an outing. That is a lot of storage.

N

nfoto

Many. I may shot visible, UV, IR, and experimental. in addition to a fair share of stock images. Plus I try to process files in the field, using the night hours.

I am at a cross roads when it comes to cards. I have 4 Sandisk Ultra III. I buy the smaller cards on purpose. I like to avoid having all my photos on one card.

I think I might go against everything I have done in the past and buy a Epson P2000 or something like that. I find it fun to look at the pictures ASAP. (i.e. vacations etc)

I realize there are a lot of threads about small hard drive storage, but I can't come to buy one yet. Hate to loose all my photos if something went wrong with the Epson P2000. Anyone here have first hand knowledge of these type systems??

L

Lex Talionis

1x 4GB SanDisk Extreme III
1x 1GB SanDisk Ultra II
2x 256MB SanDisk Ultra II (Mostly live in my D70)
1x 4GB Hitachi MD (Only used when all my other cards are full)

I'm planning to buy an Epson P2000 and maybe another 4GB Extreme III card.

2 x Lexar 1GB 40X
2 x Lexar 1GB 80X
2 x Lexar 2GB 80X
2 x Sandisk 512K Ultra II

1 x Smartdisk 40GB for portable storage

All of these cards are shared with my D2X /D100/8800

All shots in the field are RAW, all shots in the "Studio" are JPG and always tethered to my laptop.

Doug

L

Lex Talionis

D. L. Miller said:
Lex,

Can the Epson P2000 handle RAW from a D2x?

I just went to the Epson Web page, it isn't cleatr about D2x RAW files. It might store them but not display RAW images. ????

Yes, apparently it handles D2X NEF files just fine; but you need to make sure the firmware is up to date. It’s not possible to view NEF files at 100% though, but with all that extra space you can always shoot NEF+JPEG anyway.

My main concern is the transfer speed; does anyone know how long it takes to upload a full 4GB card? When I’m shooting action stuff I have to be a little careful with how much I press the shutter. The extra storage space of the P2000 should allow me to shoot more carefree, but if it takes too long to upload the 4GB, I may fill my 1GB card before it has finished the transfer.

D. L. Miller said:
Lex,

Can the Epson P2000 handle RAW from a D2x?

I just went to the Epson Web page, it isn't cleatr about D2x RAW files. It might store them but not display RAW images. ????
Yes it can. It will display them but you cannot zoom into the image like you can with JPGs.

Latest threads

Top Bottom