How many do you REALLY sell??

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng34ine, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Ok, guys since I have been on this forum I have seen some outstanding images. I feel that by all standards, they should be hanging up on someones wall.

The question is this... WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THESE AWESOME IMAGES ARE YOU ACTUALLY SELLING?

thanks

2. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    All of them! It's the bad ones they don't buy:biggrin:

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I did a girls 4 and 5A tournament at the start of the year. I shot well over 4,000 images in about 3 days. I spent roughly 14 hours the first day, than around 8 the rest of the days.

I had zero expenses as I had my own strobes/gear but to be honest I sold around 500 dollars worth of images. I also had a coupon which if I did not would have gave me around 700 dollars.

It was below what I thought I might get since to be honest a lot of these girls were seniors and I thought I would get parents purchasing images of their girls playing bball for the last time.

That did not happen lol

I was really happy though and learned a lesson in doing tourney's. I need a helper to be walking around the parents side of the bball court handing out cards/flyers, etc.. during the games.

Heck even have order forms ready to be filled out at the place.

I think in order to make money you have to have something in place to get the parents to purchase when they have the urge to view the images.

4. none zip zilch zero
    I do it for the pure enjoyment of shooting

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    "DITTO!"

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    :biggrin:

Great answer!

7. I tried making money in sports and shot an all day wrestling tournament. Inexperience in this type of venue doomed me to small sales. The photos were good, my marketing was bad.

Weddings for me are much easier to make money, all the photos are pre-sold.

8. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I shoot for pleasure and print for money. :biggrin:

9. Damn it Keith, I really liked your response. I tried to go to your website to see exactly what your secret was, but I didnt see one. I'd love to see your images. Hell, I might even buy some. Can you give me your website?

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I would say 100% of my photos sell .... but thats because my clients pre-pay .....Last year during the adverage football game if i shot spec i think about 25% of what i publish to the web sells which works out to about ... $ 150 bucks a game or so...

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Some games zip, some games $300. All day best $700. So for me it varies

If I can get $100 per game I'm pretty happy, $200 I'm stoked.

% wise I'd think maybe 10% pictures actually sell

Maybe I need to work harder !!!

12. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I would say.....

...not enough for it to be worth the effort.

13. For me, marketing is the problem. Outside of that I get paid for what prints in the paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  14. For July onsite sales 568 prints of various sizes.

Gary

15. None (I give away lots to relatives and friends). Photography is strictly a hobby for me.

16. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I'm probably in the 20 % range- mostly no parketing from me helps that figure stay low.

I'm usually there for publication work so the extra photos and word of mouth sales is just an added bonus.

17. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I struggle with how best to get the parents to order - those are really good numbers Gary - do you print onsite or just point ppl to your website ?

Cheers

18. Hey Darren,

We print onsite. July we had the international One Hockey tournaments, 2 five day tournaments back to back. Had 11 viewing stations setup with 3 printers running. For comparision, for July we only moved 79 items online. To be fair though, that event was at the end of the month so online sales wouldn't be realized until this month.

Gary

19. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't really count how many I sell to either magazines or brands, but I do manage to do pretty well considering how new I am to all of this and things are looking up sice I'm practically over with school.
    I don't sale "a" photo but more rather a complete article that usually includes 5/6 photos or if I'm paid to cover an event I'll give my client around 20/30 photos so I don't get paid per photo but they pay me for a days work ( from 500/600€ per day, roughly $720/870).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.