How many lbs of lens would you carry in a packpack?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RichNY, Aug 17, 2008.

1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

I'm packing for tomorrow's trip to Europe and my new pack currently weighs 19lbs including batteries/chargers and a spare change of clothes just in case the airlines lose my checked bag.

For a full day of carrying a pack and gear what is the most weight you would feel comfortable carrying for a 'pleasure' vacation?

(It feels heavy now but I'm still sore from painting so I can't judge how much I should lighten the load once I arrive)

Packed for this 2 week trip:
    D300
    D200 backup
    SB-800
    Sigma 10-20
    Sigma 30 f/1.4
    Nikon 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikon 70-300
    Polarizing glass
    Expodisc

Spare camera battery & charger
    4 spare AAs and charger
    International converter

32 GB CF cards

2. I like to travel as light as possible. Once off of the plane I would personally try to get down to one body and two lenses. I would have to have the 10-20 in Europe and couldn't do without the 17-55 either. When I was in Italy for two weeks I shot very little between 55 & 70 and no keepers over 70mm. For my style of shooting I wouldn't need the 70-300. Most places indoors you can't use flash so I wouldn't carry that either. I don't have a 30mm 1.4 but I think it would be a great addition inside the old buildings so I would have to carry that too. Good luck with your choice and have a great trip.

Mike

3. Personally, I'd travel light as well.

I no longer own one, but I'd pick up an ultrawide (such as the 10-20 or Tokina 12-24). I'd add the 17-55. I'd pick up a 70-300VR. I'd throw in one SB-800. I'd only carry my D50 - no backup - with a couple cards and a charger. I might carry a small prime such as the 35 f/2 if there was room. I'd also carry my Hyperdrive and a dozen fully-charged batteries. If I could make it fit, I'd squeeze in a small, cheap battery charger and a lenspen. I think that would be sufficient.

However, in a pinch, I could probably skip the small prime and ultrawide.

4. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder

Jul 3, 2008
    Australia
    With out knowing what kind of photography you like doing (I've not been here long to see what photos you mostly post) the only suggestion I could as is do you REALLY need a backup body for a 2 week PLEASURE trip?

How much photography do you plan on doing and could you live without doing any at all? Or is the main reason for the trip to do photography?

5. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Thanks. I'll post back with what I learned from this experience.

6. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I'd pack the D300, the 17-55, and the 85 f1.4, lots of batteries and memory cards. I'd also toss in a very good point and shoot. If I thought I needed it, I'd throw in a 70-300. I have a little aluminum chair that folds up into my pack as well, and a water bottle and a change in clothes.

7. no second body... unless you are on a professional shoot
    2 lenses, 1 body
    or.....
    when you get home:
    - you'll have a back ache
    - you'll NEVER REMEMBER anything you saw WITH YOUR EYES
    - you'll have great shots, but NO MEMORIES

have fun
    good luck

8. Take just one lens...the one you're buying today. Suffering and weight make us stronger in mind and body. :biggrin:

Personally, I'd take the D300, SB-800 (although I might leave a flash at home), Nikkor 17-55, 70-300, extra batteries and CF cards, charger, polarizer, and call it good.

Have a great trip! I'm buying German dinner when you get back.

9. Well...

I use two bags... and a backpack which I use for short shoots or museums...

the two bags are the 7 million dollar home and the bazillion dollar home by Crumpler - the back pack which is filled with clothes in a suit case while on a plane is a Crumpler bag as well.

D3
    D300 (which I don't use)
    Two SB-800 (which I used one a couple of times)
    SU-800
    RRS L-Brackets and Flash bracket
    2 spare batteries for each cameras
    4 x 16 gig cards
    3 x 8 gig cards

MacBook Pro
    3 x G-Tech external hard drives
    160 gig classic iPod

And the lenses...

14-24/2.8
    24-70/2.8
    70-200/2.8
    1.4 TC
    28/1.4
    35/1.4 AI-S
    50/1.4
    85/1.4

I am sure I am forgetting something but I can't think of it right now...

How heavy is all of this... I don't want to know but my Bazillion $Home clocks in at 14.6 kg, that's my carry on bag :wink:

My least used lenses are the 85/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 ... Next trip the 85/1.4 stays home but the 70-200 I couldn't do without... Cause when I need it nothing could replace it... I'll scratch the 35/1.4 off the list as well and will most likely not bring a back up body and will certainly not be bringing two flashes with me.

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Dont be afraid of carrying one lens and one camera for a afternoon. And for that matter nothing at all. Somtimes drinking in the Images without camera is more better:)  That being said, where is your tripod? And you call yourself a photographer:tongue:. Have a great trip, and a safe return.

gregory

11. Greg's right - take that lot and its gonna hurt. Try and enjoy the holiday, don't just record it. Pack light - the camera is just gonna be a PITA otherwise.

The D300 has many MP - you can afford to crop a bit off the pictures on your return. Lose the grip and pack an extra battery, shame you haven't got the 18-200, its not the best lens in the world but it does Holidays just great. That and the Sigma 10-20 and you'd have it covered.

Maybe a small table top tripod would be worthwhile - something like the Slik Mini pro III with a small ballhead.

My choice from your list would be D300 (no grip) + 10-20mm + 17-55mm + 85mm + SB800. Chuck the lot in a small messenger style bag, something that doesn't shout "Steal me".

12. RichNY

RichNY Guest

I am also taking Canon S3IS for when I don't want to lug a DSLR around. I do remember the last trip to Europe where some of the best times were had when I left the camera back in the room and we just went out and enjoyed ourselves. I think I'll collapse a Domke F-2 into the checked luggage so I have a small light bag as an alternative to the backpack. Down to the last 4 hours before heading out.

13. Most places that you'd want to use flash indoors won't allow it. I'd ditch the grip, the flash, the D200 and the 70-300.

14. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    When I went to Jamaica last Dec, I went with my 50 1.8 and my 18-200, and I actually never ended up using the 50 1.8. But I think the best traveling kit would be the Sig 30.14, Tokina 11-16(ultra wide), and the 18-200, 60mm 2.8 macro with the d300 and a battery grip. I just like the feel of the batter grip when shooting, and with a extra pack of 8 batteries having the security of not running out of power, and not having to worry about charging the battery.

***:rolleyes: well I guess this really is not good since you have to go out and buy some of those lens, but I say drop the d200 & SB800, take the 4 lens and the battery pack. (if need need be drop the sig or the 17-55 for a macro lens :wink:) ******

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  15. I Just have 1 word to say, but I'll say it several times.

Overkill, overkill, overkill.

I know you won't listen Rich... but I think you are taking way too much and won't use half of it. The idea of a backup body is nice but you're going on vacation and I just think you are going way too heavy and it's complete overkill. To have all that and an S3IS just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like this is a photojournalistic venture.

Anyway, I know you'll have a great time regardless, but I think you'll regret having that 20 pound pack with you.

16. Last year my wife and I went to Germany and Austria. I took my Sigma 120-300 2.8, Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 18-70. I also took a flash, battery charger, a spare battery, tripod with ballhead and my laptop. Definitely on the heavy side, but I did end up using all the gear I took. Incidentally, the camera body was a D200.
    Have agreat vacation.
    Michael

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I hiked 5 miles up a mountain with 40 lbs of gear and it wasn't all that bad to me. Perhaps I was running on adrenaline.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.