How many MP is that camera(how do pro's deal with that ques?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by twig, Jun 19, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    One of the most common questions when photographing events from randoms is about my camera. People love to ask how many MP, and when they hear 4, they love to wonder aloud about the superiority (or at least competitiveness) of their 7 MP sony cyber whatever.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to answer that question without sounding like I am defensive and avoiding it, but still conveying somehow the fact that all MP are not comparable. IS there some analogy I could use perhaps to convey the difference in the quality of the MP?

Should I ignore the question and keep answering as I have (4) and not getting into this issue at all?

Perhaps I should make a wine comparison (I live in NY so these are city folk, cannot give them a John Deere reference) and say their cybershot is like a 120 oz. "box 'o wine" and my camera is like a bottle of 1982 Chateau Le Snif (I'm joking, I don't know wines, but I guess I could look up something famous and good). Another words a "it's not the ounces of wine it's the quality". Maybe compare a 40 oz. of colt 45 to a bottle of imported beer, or a pound o stew meat compared to a 6 oz fillet?

Anyway, would love to hear what others think or say when encountering this all too often issue. I certainly am not going to buy a D2X just so I Can say "12 MP", not yet at least.

2. Twig,
    I usually respond when asked how many mps is that camera...
    "it's a 24mp protype I'm testing for Nikon...please don't say anything
    this project is very hush...hush..."
    I say this with a coy smile...
    They usually either look at me like I've lost my mind... or in cofusion
    as to wondering if I'm full of sh%t or really testing a prototype...
    some have even gone as far as saying....yeah...I heard about
    that project....it's supposed to be a great camera....
    I just smile... and keep shooting...

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks guys.
    Michael, I think I will use your idea, do you want royalties?
    On goes the black tape over D2H logo, bike-messenger style
    24MP never looked so good!

4. Well, if they're looking at your camera and asking, they obviously don't know the MPs of the various cameras so I'd give them an answer like "27.5" with a serious face, in fact, don't even look up from your work! *LOL* "When in doubt, make it sound convincing".

5. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Not a pro here, but when I am shooting with my D1, I always say 2.74MP...I found it in a dumpster.

Get some good looks with that one!

;)

C

6. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Re: How many MP is that camera(how do pro's deal with that q

I am going to assume you have the D2H or D2HS. Honestly, I would just say 4MP with a happy face.

Sure they can think they got a much better buy and what not, I would like to think ... let the results speak for themselves. Although you may never get the opportunity to prove that to them, eh, let bygones be bygones.

On the other hand, it might get them thinking, hey here is a pro photographer using only 4MP, what am I missing here? He can do that much with so little? He must be great or MP must really be overrated!

Even though I got a D70, I would gladly pick up a D2H or D2HS if the opportunity came by.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I hate this question so I look confused, and say: "I dunno." and turn the camera around to look at the D100 logo, then say: "A hundred?"

They think I'm an idiot, and I take their picture. Makes for good expressions.

8. It's not the quantity of pixel that is important, it's the quality.

9. Umm, that's why I gaffer tape my logos so people don't ask me questions, if they ask how much it cost, I tell them it's really expensive. Plus I usually look mean so they get off my back. :p

10. Cool! I'll try that. It means I won't have to change my natural expression :mrgreen:.

This is an interesting topic. It came up in a conversation with one of my neighbors, who owns a Canon digicam. He asked what my camera's resolution was, and when I told him 6MP, he said it wasn't a worthwhile upgrade from his 4MP G2. When I tried to explain that all pixels aren't created equal, he muttered, "Nonsense. The number of pixels equals the resolution". In the interest of neighborhood harmony, I restrained myself from educating the jerk.

11. Should of smacked him Frank and beat him down with your 28-70 bazooka! :p

Oh wait, we live in a civil society, nevermind that. :wink:

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Agreed. I find that a smug feeling of superiority always beats a lawsuit.

13. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    Well my answer is always "non I shoot slide film, Better grain" :p Sometimes it is true, but most people just stay away from me. I guess I am just to scary to approach. :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hahaha, I love some of these responses. I must try some next time I get that question.

I usually answer the question with a puzzled look and, "What's a megapixel??" Most of the time I just get an odd look and people move on. A few times, though, people have actually stuck around and tried to explain it to me. You should hear some of the things they tell me.

15. i just let it proceed to the next logical step

By and large anybody asking that question wants to tell you about how many megapixels their latest, newest camera has. So I tell them what I've got, and let them tell me how many they have, and smile and nod like a happy idiot. All of which I can do without taking one iota of attention from what I'm shooting, which is really all I want to accomplish.

Of course, it's gotten a lot easier now having the D2x, although to avoid getting into big convoluted discussions about THAT, I've taken to saying 6mp so that people can tell me about their 8mp camera. Makes them happy and then they go away.

16. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm not a pro but have been asked that question many times. My answer has been "More than most people need". Most people just think I am an *** an leave me alone after that. :) Thier right, of course. :lol:

17. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    :lol: :lol: I was talking to a friend of mine and ask him his response.

"I only have one. One is all you need if you use right"

Yep he is a bit of a smart a$$ from time to time.

18. Now THAT is absolutely brilliant

Tell your friend I"m likely to owe him royalties.

19. TR_Fox

TR_Fox

Jun 13, 2005
    Flagstaff AZ
    I am sure it is OK I use a tons of his stuff. No royalties needed. Just cost me drinks when I see him.