How many of you DON'T DIY?

I am all thumbs...so tonight I decided to put an outlet in the wall to run some CAT 6. Sounds pretty easy. I watched my father in law, the ultimate DIY're, put in an electrical outlet a couple of weeks ago and figured it would only take a few minutes. So I borrowed his recipricating saw and went to work. 45 minutes later, and thankfully only 1 hole in the wall (the one that I wanted to make) and a broken blade, I decide I had better call it a night. That was after I hit my thumb a couple times with the hammer as I was trying to nail the box into the stud (nails are barely in).
I still need to "wire" the outlet and run the cable and crimp the heads on, but...i decided I had better quit while I was ahead.

So, lets hear your diy disasters

I wired my house up for cable myself. When the guy from the cable company came over to hook up the drop from the outside he said it was done better than most the techs they had.

Personally I just use screws to put outlet boxes in instead of trying to nail them. Just use a right hand screwdriver attachment.

My first DIY haircut was an epic fail. I had to totally shave my head :actions1:

don't do that DIY unless you know what you're doing!!

Myself I've done some cable-ing myself too, some UTP and tv cable through the place...

Getting my own place in 6 months or so and will be doing most of the work myself...

I wired my house up for cable myself. When the guy from the cable company came over to hook up the drop from the outside he said it was done better than most the techs they had.

Personally I just use screws to put outlet boxes in instead of trying to nail them. Just use a right hand screwdriver attachment.

The biggest problem was just cutting the hole for the box. Though, I thought for sure that I was going to put the hammer throught the dry wall, and/or end up with bloody knuckles trying to get the nails in. I think for the next one I will get the one with the bracket to just screw them in.

The biggest problem was just cutting the hole for the box. Though, I thought for sure that I was going to put the hammer throught the dry wall, and/or end up with bloody knuckles trying to get the nails in. I think for the next one I will get the one with the bracket to just screw them in.

"Madison Bars". Don't need screws or nails. Sawzall? Keyhole saw would do the trick. Good luck

"Madison Bars". Don't need screws or nails. Sawzall? Keyhole saw would do the trick. Unless it's a wood wall. Good luck

I'm really weird when it comes to DIY. Something's I won't touch with a ten footer.

I hear ya...when i was in idaho I had a friend that ran a service station. He told me anytime I wanted I could come by after hours to work on my car. It sure is a lot easier to change the oil, or anything on the bottom of the car, when you can throw it up on a lift.

yeah i saw the jiffy boxes...since i was putting it in by a stud i figured it would be better for the stud to bare the weight (not that they weigh anything).

I try to take a strategic approach to my DIY projects. I can usually gauge what kind of challenges I'm going to run into before I get started. If necessary, I'll gather the info I need on the net prior to pulling the trigger, or just search for it during the project. Guess it all depends on if / where I get stuck.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom