How many of you have Focus problem w/ D2X ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by JerseyJay, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm not sure how many D2X users we have on Nikon Cafe but let's do a quick Poll. Question is simple: "Do you have focus problem w/ D2X?". There are 3 choices: Yes, No, Maybe.

I can't imagine Nikon having a 100% recall so maybe all D2X owners will end up doing firmware upgrade or something similar.

Thanks for your participation. Hopefully this will help me move on with my decisions :roll:

2. Interesting poll... I'll be curious to see the results.

3. Quick Update. I noticed 2 Yes and 1 No.

Can I ask those who are responding to reply to topic as well so we know who is having this problem and who is NOT having this problem. Simple click and reply with YES / NO is sufficient.

Thanks again !

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Yes

I am

5. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    I'm not

I shot my daughter's LaCrosse game yesterday and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I was using my 70-200 with 1.4 and all was well. I had also run the focus chart test and it came out quite well.

So, I guess I lucked out. (And, no Jim, I'm not rubbing salt in the wound!)

Tom

6. genec57

genec57 Guest

I have no problems with my D2X.

7. Based upon the Tim Jackson chart I am having real problems with two of the nine cross sensor reticles; the bottom center and right and a few of the others appear to be slightly front focusing.

8. I have not had problems, but to be fair, I have been so busy with things that prevent me from taking pix, I have had little time to really test it on moving subjects. But for simple snap shot type shots no problem noted.

9. I have had problems. Mostly with >200mm situations (70-200 w/TCs or 300mm f/4 with or without TCs). Occasionally with other lenses, including 17-35mm.

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

No'

Birger

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Has anyone developed a test for this?

After 80k clicks with the D2H I'm pretty confident about what I can shoot and hit and not hit. With the X my keeper rate is WAY DOWN. The problem becomes more evident with a longer lens vs. a short one however if I put a long lens on a tripod (70-200VR) and shoot a stationary subject the results seem to be spot on. Change it to a moving target and the keepers go way down.

I planned on developing some type of test to determine if ANY D2X has the problem but so far haven't had time.

After reading on this my experiences seem to mirror that of Jim Fenton where he has the majority of the issues with regards to tracking.

13. I have focus problems with moving subjects and the long lenses, Sigma 800 and the 80-400 VR. The 300 2.8 AF does better. The Sigma was not easy with the D2H either but much better then the D2X. That was an immideate reaction when I tried it the first time on the D2x, worse then then the D2H.

I also have difficulty getting sharp pictures with the Sigma 800 on the D2X, not sure if it is the resolution doing it or focus issue. I talked to Sigma and they told focusing hsould work witht he D2X and asked me to send it in, they where very responsive and clearly wanted to help. I will send it in.

Then I will try again with the D2x to see what I can figure out with the D2X and the Sigma.

In the mean time I will try to see if it front or backfocuses with other lenses to determine if it is an issue witht he body as well..

14. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

Just got my D2X and out of the box I found that I was already having problems with focus and sharpness. I also have a D2H and I am spot on with the latter. I thought it was because I was using Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro but I didn't have any problems with it on the H. I also testing with my Nikon 24-120 VR but got almost the same results, maybe a bit better. I even tried it on a tripod because I thought it was just me but still, you see a definite issue with the X. It is a bit more exaggerated with a longer focal length it seems as well.

I'm going to call it in tomorrow. I'm really disappointed about this whole thing. I know it's a great camera but I just happen to have gotten a lemon.

15. hadari

hadari Guest

Have using D2H for more than a year and D2X for about 2 weeks, have the D1X for 4 years, I am now very pleased with Nikon newer bodies in all aspects.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Hadari,

Welcome to the Cafe. I think you may be our first member from Israel. If you get a chance, stop by the new member intro forum and tell us a little about yourself and your photographic interests.

Glad to have you on board.

Frank

17. hoggy

hoggy Guest

I have problems with focus. Camera being replaced by Roberts Imaging.

18. grafphoto

grafphoto Guest

No problems here that I can tell, though I haven't shot many moving subjects yet.

19. Thorgal

Thorgal

May 2, 2005
    Belgium.
    Yes front & back focusses.

20. No problems with focus here.