How many of you have Focus problem w/ D2X ?

How many of you have Focus problem w/ D2X ?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

IxLr8

IxLr8 said:
Just got my D2X and out of the box I found that I was already having problems with focus and sharpness. I also have a D2H and I am spot on with the latter. I thought it was because I was using Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro but I didn't have any problems with it on the H. I also testing with my Nikon 24-120 VR but got almost the same results, maybe a bit better. I even tried it on a tripod because I thought it was just me but still, you see a definite issue with the X. It is a bit more exaggerated with a longer focal length it seems as well.

I'm going to call it in tomorrow. I'm really disappointed about this whole thing. I know it's a great camera but I just happen to have gotten a lemon.

Well, got my baby back and it rocks.... Gawd, sucks without the primary camera.

Got mine today and struggled through settings and focus. Finally hit the sweet spot after 30 pics and several settings. WOW!!!!!! Printed at 8X10 and WOW!!! again. Looks as good as medium format...can't believe my eyes...LOVE IT!!!

Received a replacement from Nikon today. I don't think it was quite necessary, but they did scratch up the mirror box last time, so I guess they decided that called for a fresh camera.

In any case, this one focuses even the narrowest of DOFs spot on.

Now to go shoot a few K images... :D

I

IxLr8

Agreed, the sharpness is fantastic, a professional photographer friend of mind compared it against his MK II and he was impressed.

I think everything is ok, I focused on the H key. Is this a good test? I just did it on my couch with my laptop.

Ron Strobel
focus1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

focus2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

RobTaormina

d2x focus

Here at Berger Bros. Camera we have sold over 50 D2x's in the past few weeks. We've had a couple x owners call back with the same concern that everyone here is talking about. "I have focus problems with moving subjects and the long lenses". We actually had Nikon come in on Thursday for an event (that was fantastic: wine, desserts, cameras and models.... equal perfection) and we picked their brain on this very issue. If anyone has any questions about the camera feel free to call 631-264-4160. Ask for Brad or Larry.

Best Regards,
Rob Taormina
www.berger-bros.com

Grant,
I would also be interested in what settings you are using. I was sure I had a problem, but yesterday did some shooting with my 70-200 VR with the in camera sharpening set at medium high and they did look better.

Scott

D2X settings

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Relatives wedding. I started with Moose's settings here http://www.moosepeterson.com/d2x/d2x-settings.html and modified as follows. (not a techie so just trial and plenty of error) Basic Settings: shoot RAW only. Shooting menu: again RAW only, RAW compression-OFF, White Bal-preset (expodisc), Hue adj +6. Custom Settings: a1 and a2 Focus, a4 Lock on-OFF. One other to add, when using flash I set the white bal with the expodisc by using a mirror to bounce the flash back into the lens. Maybe not ground breaking but I finally got some shots that are as I hoped from the D2X. Still a work in progress.........

R

RobTaormina

no problems

No problems here but I've had two customers call with some minor concerns.

Rob Taormina

Second trip and 3 days waiting at the gate, was hoping to get a service number today but no luck. If you have a camera at the Melville,Ny service center,all I can say is good luck.

Have had my D2X for several weeks now and still feel that I suffer from a bit of front focus, ca. 3-4 mm. Thought is was far worse, using an 80-200 2.8 ED Nikkor, however the latter lens apparently was damaged from a minor fall in a padded case. Gave foggy/fuzzy shots especially at 200 mm.
Tests with THE test chart and other lenses show the front focus issue. Have been getting some decent macros with the lens, but considering the number of shots I take with a Nikkor 200 Micro under slightly breezy conditions I cannot determine whether the "good" shots were slightly out of focus when taken or whether the "bad" shots were right on. A couple of contacts with Berger and one response asking me to contact one of their experts via e-mail resulted in absolutely no followup reponses at all. So much for Berger Camera IMO :evil: .
Jerry Snider

Recently took pics for friends at our 3 mile Woodruff run (Johnny that is). First time experience with moving subjects. Used my 70-200mm VR continuous focus with a4 (focus lock) on and using only the center sensor. I took care to focus on the numbers (black on white). 80 shots and only one worth keeping. Most F8 - 22 at about 50 feet so the DOF was not the prob and a shutter of 1/300 or faster. I called Nikon service and after uploading two NEF's I was instructed to send the 2X for inspection. The pics are not salvageable using USM, they are just plain OOF. Checked in Capture and the focus point was on the numbers. I'll let you know how Nikon handles this next week.

He discovered the equivalent to fool's gold, has nothing to do with D2x focus problems. Nikon service would not have D2x's stacked up the wazoo and be replacing or trying to repair a camera because of menu choice, give Nikon a break.

BTW: That a(4) option works as intended.
:roll:

Latest threads

Top Bottom