How many people on the cafe are Pros, Semi-Pros or Amateurs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Pro - Make my living off photography

98.6%
  2. Semi Pro - Do occassional gigs but have another primary source of income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Amateur - I'm just here for the tacos!

1.4%
  1. Just wanted to do a quick survey on how many pros, semi-pros and amateurs are on the forum? I thought it would be interesting to see!

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I guess I'm an amateur with aspirations of being a "hemi-demi-pro."

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    does $1 from my grand-aunt make me a semi-pro? :wink:

ricky

5. Amateur but hoping to generate something within 2 years so I can support my hobby.

6. an amateur for sure. Although i have made some money (don't tell teh taxes !!!!)

the votes for pro's is still 0 ?????

7. Semi Pro since 1970's. Supply images to Oxford Scientific Films and send other stuff on a stock basis to photographic and natural history magazines.

BW. Bob F

8. I'm surprised by this too. Did Jonathan forget to vote in his own poll? :D

I'm w/ a couple others as an amateur aspiring to be a "hemi-demi-pro". :wink:

_Man_

9. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    I'm a very long-time amateur, been a member of Nikon Cafe for just a few days, and still haven't seen any tacos!

10. Amateur, but getting better all the time. My family thinks I should pursue it more, however I know the quality of the competition and am greatly humbled by it. But you never know, someday maybe I will give it a go.

11. I consider myself a semi-pro since I make much of my discretionary income from photography. I am retired and don't have to depend on photography to live.

12. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Count me way in the amateur section...

Every now and then I get some shots that could be considered advanced amateur, but then again, I have far more "quick, hide these" than anything!!!

;)

C

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, I'm the only 'Pro' here? Goes to show ya though, you don't have to be good to be a pro!

100% of my income comes from my photography business, so that kinda explains why I'm so poor.

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Semi-Pro Here

I have a real job but my photography is adding to the household income at an increasing rate. While I'd love to do this full time, I can't fathom enough people wanting to buy my stuff to support us on it!

If I could only hit the lottery....

Interwstingly, my wife is sugestion with increasing frequency that we sell the house and buy a house trailer or a shack on the beach so that we could travel and shoot morre to push the photo income?

15. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    From what I have seen of your work Jim...you more than have the skills to do it and be very successful.

Guess it's up to your instincts and how much of a risk you're willing to take, huh?

C

16. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I put down semi-pro since I do make money as a staff photographer for a fine arts gallery and a magazine. I'm like Gordon, retired but don't depend on photography to make money. I usually just say that I'm a working amateur since I have no intention to turn pro. The other side of the coin is not making money from photography as a staff photographer. Its not having to pay to get in everywhere and getting prime shooting locations. Big time money savings.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beauty and Nature have no titles :>))

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've been amateur, semipro, full pro, no pho, amateur and now semipro again, as I try to do one paid job a week (I shot lettuce for the department of Ag today) as I work my way toward retirement. Then, due to my bad investing, I will need to work, hopefully as a pro once again. If not, I'm sure McDonalds or somewhere has a 'hire a senior' program.

Most of the shooting I do is purely for the art of it, so no matter what, I consider myself an amateur. I voted semipro though.

19. I'm spending money on the equipment like a Pro, but that still make sme an amateur...

20. Re: Semi-Pro Here

I wouldn't mind living in a trailer off the beach! :) Oh yeah I finally voted, forgot to do that!