How many people on the cafe are Pros, Semi-Pros or Amateurs?

How many people on the cafe are Pros, Semi-Pros or Amateurs?

• Semi Pro - Do occassional gigs but have another primary source of income

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey Sommer...there are no mistakes, there may be ways to improve, but there are no mistakes...and no one here worries about "what could have been done better if they had taken the image". Please feel safe to post your images...when you are ready!!! 8)

I consider myself an amateur. My friend and I (who owns a 20D) have done a couple portraits for business men and women. So I would say I'm an advance amateur at most. I don't think I'd every consider myself a professional, as much as I love photography and how many jobs I have done. Though it would be great to have a career being a photographer.

So what is a "Pro"?
If being a pro means you make $$ from your photos then I guess I'm a Pro. But if you have to get these funds and put them in the bank.... well I'm "Not A Pro".
Have I got everyone confused yet?...
Yes I published a couple photo books (last one sold out before the first book came off the printer) and I sell prints on a regular basis. But the money does not come to me... by my choosing.
As some here who have purchased prints or books from me the printing costs of either the book or print come to me and the balance of the sale price goes to the Boy Scout Movement in the corner of the world that the buyer lives.
So on a $250.00 print I will get around $50.00 for the printing and matting and the Scouts will get $200.00
This is something that I started a few years ago and it allows me to keep my work as a "Total Doug Thing"
I know many here will read this and think I "Need My Head Read". But I take the images I want to take... I process them the way I want them done and I get to help a GREAT organization at the same time.
So at the end of the day, I guess I’m as amateur as they come. But the Scout movement in Canada (alone) became $35,000.00 richer last year as a result of my work. So does that count for anything? :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

SPT

I'm a Pro, working hard to make my living at photography.

Given the effort I put in, I should be a rich man - but I'm not. Having said that, I'm a good deal happier and more fulfilled than many of the people I know.

I've a great life touring our beautiful country and meeting all sorts of people. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Pro in the past, weddings and a wee bit of commercial stuff... semi pro also, and now an amature and loving the status. Takes all the pressure off and brings back the fun.
Jarrell

SPT said:
I'm a Pro, working hard to make my living at photography.

Given the effort I put in, I should be a rich man - but I'm not..

Ain't that the truth! I'm just trying to shoot as much as I can. I meet guys who make 6 figure salaries (as in 6 figure US dollars) as photographers and I'm just hoping to get my big break soon. :)

K

Ken-L

I voted "semi-pro" when this first was created but didn't post a comment.

I have been "hired" and "paid" for "camera work" since 1975, but it has never been intended to make money or be a "pro". (And I don't count covert surveillance photos either.)

I consider myself to be an amateur since I don't make a living, or even try to, with a camera, and I have been retired since 1995, which is why we moved to California in 2000 - for the low cost of living to help make ends meet....and save those nickels and dimes for Lens Lust.

I take my hat off to anyone who tries to make a living with a camera, as with music (my other love), being a "pro" is a tough way to make a living, and takes an incredible amount of courage and fortitude, even to "just make a living".

Jonathan :

What category does on pick if they use their camera in their "day job", but they aren't paid predominately as a photographer ?

In my case, I use my D100 all the time in the field to document my findings, but I'm not per se paid as a "photographer". You never see any of my day job photos, BTW, because I've signed away my soul and first-born in confidentiality agreements (good thing I don't have any kids, eh ?)

John P.

G

GaryW

I've made $1,800 this year in photography. So, for an amateur, that's pretty good. For a semi-pro, that's pretty bad. For a pro, it's time to look for another job.

I consider myself to be an amateur since I don't make a living, or even try to, with a camera, and I have been retired since 1995, which is why we moved to California in 2000 - for the low cost of living to help make ends meet....and save those nickels and dimes for Lens Lust.
Sorry to get off track, but you moved to the bay area for a low cost of living? When on earth did you move from? :)

K

Ken-L

JeffKohn said:
Sorry to get off track, but you moved to the bay area for a low cost of living? When on earth did you move from? :)

It's a very long story that makes absolutely no sense at all, but here we are just the same - we just prefer northern California for the climate and lifestyle and I had lived in northern California twice before.

Real Name
Chris
Ken-L said:
JeffKohn said:

It's a very long story that makes absolutely no sense at all, but here we are just the same - we just prefer northern California for the climate and lifestyle and I had lived in northern California twice before.

I agree Ken - housing in San Francisco seems almost reasonable compared to North County San Diego. I mean $6.5M for a 650 sqft. ... shack?? But at least gas is under $3 a gallon (I paid $2.99.9 in Blythe on my way over Thursday.)

K

Ken-L

Chris101 said:
Ken-L said:
JeffKohn said:

I agree Ken - housing in San Francisco seems almost reasonable compared to North County San Diego. I mean $6.5M for a 650 sqft. ... shack?? But at least gas is under $3 a gallon (I paid $2.99.9 in Blythe on my way over Thursday.)

I have lived in New York City, San Francisco, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Dallas, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Houston (to name some) but northern California is like a magnet constantly drawing me back, and when my wife saw CA the first time, it was where she wanted to be too. How nice.... 8)

Jonathan F. said:
Wouldn't that fall under semi John? :wink:
Jonathan :

Dunno. It's a core element of my day job, and figures in all of my written reports.

I've also been told that the (relative) quality of my photography in my day job's work reports has been a deciding factor in awarding me contracts - flattering, if true.

Given that my day job finances everything else for me (which is what I post here), maybe I'm a pro-semi-amateur ? :twisted: :roll: :wink: :twisted:

John P.

D

David H. Lewis

I do corporate communications work for a big electric utility company. Since photography is my passion, but corporate communications is my job, I'm able to give myself photography assignments as often as I like, as long as I get my other work done. Unfortunately, the people I work for have a curious lack of appreciation for the power of pictures. I was told after one photo outing a few years ago, "I could have hired a photographer for $20,000 less than I hired you for, so don't be spending too much time taking pictures." But, for the most part, I do what I want, mostly in the area of employee communications. All my peers are supposed to be at least conversant with a camera, but only maybe one other (out of 70 or so) actually is, so, on a good day, they think I'm a wizard. At any rate, since photography is part of my job, I guess that makes me semi-pro.

K

Ken-L

Wow! Got a windfall today! Now I can afford to eat dinner tonight.

I had "donated" my services for a local chapter of a national organization's annual picnic, and provided them with a CD of the photos.

Got a check in the mail today, by vote of their board, as a token of their appreciation, etc., etc., etc....!

I think it's just a ploy so that I won't "donate" the work next year and they can get someone good.......(can't fool me)....

I would post some pictures but they might not like that (and I didn't bother with any releases...)

Latest threads

Top Bottom