how much do i charge!

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by DrewC, Mar 30, 2007.

1. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    okay, so i was requested to do a group picture of a sorority at my campus... i was kinda expecting like 15-20 people... turns out its 80 people, and they want 2 pictures, not very big, but they are willing to pay

how much would i charge for something like that?
    they want 2 5x7 prints with 80 people... seems like thats gonna be small for 80 people! anyways...
    should i suggest 8x12's? or something like that?

what would be fair, i have little experience, but can't keep workin pro bono...

thanks for your help

2. I'm getting old (over 40), but the thought of my spending the evening with 80 sorority sisters would probably be payment enough!:eek:

3. Are you talking about one picture of 80 girls at a 5x7 size? You're right...that would be very small. I have a 5x7 of my son's pre-school class (20 little kids), and that is hard to make out faces, etc. I couldn't image 4 times as many kids, much less adults. I think they would be very disappointed with this size.

I would suggest a much larger size, 8x10 at the minimum. One thing to remember if you go to 8x12 is the availability of frames. While some well-stocked hobby stores carry 8x12, some people might have trouble finding them.

As far as prices, if they are only going to want 2 pictures, I definitely wouldn't charge by the picture...I would charge a flat fee for the two images. You need to feel comfortable with what you will be charging so that you are happy and they are happy.

I took the company picture for the heating and air conditioning company that installed my a/c unit. It took me about 20 minutes to get everyone posed and the shot taken. I created a JPG for their web site, and gave them an 8x10. They gave me 2 free filters for my unit, a $50 value. I also took the group picture for my mom's club, and each person ordered an 8x10, at a profit of about $1.50 per picture...at 50 people, I made about $75 on the deal. So if it were me, I'd charge a flat fee of about $50.

JMHO...