How much does it weigh?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cwilt, Apr 29, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    When you put that camera bag on your shoulder and walk out the front door, how much does it weigh?

I weighed mine today just for grins and was surprised. 25 pounds and that is without my tripod.

Trying to cover from 18mm to 1000mm comes with a heavy price. I couldn't resist the pun. :shock:

CHarles

2. I'm afraid to weigh it.. It might bring home harder how much I have spent on the equipment :(

3. I put all of my gear (except the chargers) in my Lowepro Nova 5 AW when I'm headed to an event. Loaded,
    it weighs in at 16 pounds, so It's like carrying a bowling ball... killer on the shoulder.

For lighter shoots, I use my Tamrac Expedition 4 backpack, but I have to leave some gear out.

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It's been a good while since I weighed shoulder strap style bag, but if I remember correctly it was about 18 lbs. I carried it around ALOT on a trip to the Grand Canyon last year and I swore on my Grandmothers grave that I'd have a good backpack before doing THAT again. I still have the indentation and shoulder ache! :) I'm thinking about the Lowepro MicroTrekker 200.
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Micro_Trekker_200.aspx
    Jarrell

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. dannv

dannv Guest

6lbs

D100 w/17-55 in a cross-shoulder carry.
    70-200VR with Lens Pen, couple filters and spare CF in waist pouch.

if i'm expecting landscapes i can fit the 12-24 into the waist pouch as well with a little extra padding. totals about 8lbs.

who needs a backpack?...dav

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I have two pelican pelican cases packed with equipment when I go on a shoot, and it weighs a lot. If I'm just going on a family adventure, its usually just my D70 and kit lense.

8. 23 lbs.
    10.4 kg...sounds lighter.

Physics trivia time:
    Kg is a measure of mass. Lbs is a measure of weight.
    On the moon my stuff would weigh ~4 lbs. but would still have 10.4 kg of mass.
    Er...or do I have it backwards.

You know, for half the price of a D2X I bet I could hire a 19 y/o college coed to carry it for me all summer. One of my son's girlfriends maybe....hmmmmmm.....then the mass....er...weight wouldn't matter.

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Twelve Pounds.
    Without tripod, but including a "backup camera".

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Maybe I should put my camera gear on a diet. :shock:

11. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    hmmmm...I don't know how much my bag weights.

for the most part I just throw the d70 into my messenger bag (carefully of course :) ) and go...so maybe 5-8 pounds.

i know when i was doing the musician thing the past 6 years or so my viola (big violin) case usually weighed in at near 30 pounds, not including my gig stand, and gig books (4 stuffed 4" binders).

so i'm saving schlepping a whole lot of weight with photography.

12. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    d'oh!!!

*n00b moment* quoted myself instead of editing.

to think, i'd been a moderator and global moderator on other forums. amaaazing. woopsie. :oops:

13. 29.2 lb I weighed it at the hospital on the animal scale today =) Lowepro Nature Trekker II AW, plus D2H, D100, 28-7-, 70-200, 12-24, SB-800, SC-17 and miscellaneous knick-knacks.

This is bad news for my back, especially since I had enough time hauling books around in high school.

14. Mine weights so much that i canceled my gym membership :lol: 31lbs in a Tmarac Pro 12.

15. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    No matter how little gear I put in the bag, it still feels heavy, maybe time for me to try a backpack.

16. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Typically around 100 - 150 kg. But then I usually drive my red Peugeot :)

17. You won't believe the difference a backpack makes, especially a well designed one that distriubtes the weight evenly across your shoulders and takes the load off your back.

As heavy as my bag is...I wouldn't mind it being a little heaver...with some new glass or a D2X of cours e=)