1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How much does silent wave weigh

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by MurphyD, Sep 6, 2008.

1. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi all,
    I have a sweet old 20-35mm, but kinda want a little wider and a little longer.
    Starting to lust for a 17-55. Is the silent wave motor the thing that makes the 70-200 so heavy and is the 17 -55 the same way? The old 20-35 is a screw type and a joy to use.

Thanks for your help.
    David

2. I doubt it. They have SWM/AFS motors in the 18-55 and other lightweight, cheap lenses. The reason they're so heavy is due to the glass and being 2.8 lenses! BTW- The 17-55 is the DX equal to the 28-70. Both are big muthas!

3. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Its the build quality and the glass size more than anything that attributes to the total weight. I have the 18-55 kit lens (which has a SWM) and its extremely lightweight, almost as light as my 35 f/2 which is half the size.

4. My fiancee's 70-300 VR with SWM while mounted on a D60 is about the same weight as my 80-200 2.8 D

5. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks all. I can handle that.
    David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.