How much for a 70-200 VRI?

As the title says, simple question. I've really had my eye on a 70-200 VRI these days, and I'd really like some input as to how much I should willingly pay for a good copy, in great condition, with all original "accessories" included?
I've seen them go for as low as $1300, but I've also seen them listed for as high as $1800+...
I can't imagine the market coming down anytime soon, unfortunately, what are your opinions on the subject?

i started looking for a 70-200 around february, and you could routinely find the VR1 under $1400. now..not so much. i saw will's VR1 go up at FM (wish i'd come across it an hour earlier) and yes, those lenses almost always go within a day. VR2s seem to last a little longer (but not much).

not sure what it is like here at the cafe....i'm still not up to 300 posts (maybe i'll stay up all night and make some progress towards that goal :smile:)

-richard

I think $1500 is fair, probably what I'd consider the going rate when I've been shopping around for them.

I bought a used copy through Nikonians a while back and it was a steal! Definitely a workhorse lens that was used a lot according to the owner, but in perfect condition optically with just a small scuff on the barrell of the lens---for $1200. I think that was a right time/right place kind of deal since it was a local owner who wanted to upgrade to the VR2.

i started looking for a 70-200 around february, and you could routinely find the VR1 under $1400. now..not so much. i saw will's VR1 go up at FM (wish i'd come across it an hour earlier) and yes, those lenses almost always go within a day. VR2s seem to last a little longer (but not much).

not sure what it is like here at the cafe....i'm still not up to 300 posts (maybe i'll stay up all night and make some progress towards that goal :smile:)

-richard

I've seen the same trend, I've been looking for about a month, it seems prices are steadily rising :/
I'm sure it's in direct correlation with Nikon retail prices rising on new models, translating to more people trying to save money and pick up older equipment, therefor rasing the demand/value of the older equipment...

I am a big fan of this lens as my spouse has it. But I would not pay any more than $1400.00 for one unless I knew the copy's history. Repairs & cleaning are not cheap & their is no warantee. I bought a new VRII with 5 years warantee in December for $1950.00 + taxes.

it's crazy how much prices have gone up since the earthquake/tsunami, before that I remember seeing 70-200vr1's routinely go for $1200-1400($1400 for a minty one)....

now people want $1500 and up.......crazy!

i'm sure the quake and resulting supply chain disruptions for a lot of components made in Japan are part of the cause ....the VRII is definitely up. but i think there is also the fact that people are just figuring out that they really like the VR1. for the right shooting environment it's a big jump over the 80-200 (my opinion only..not intending to pick a fight). i think it's harder to say that about the jump between the VR1 and VR2. especially if you're on DX....VR2 has a few small advantages on DX, but mostly i think you're just future-proofing in case you decide to move to FX one day (and that's a perfectly valid reason). i might be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a used VR2 over a VR1 just for that.

-richard

I sold a very nice vr1 for $1350 in February when I bought my 200/2, and that was the going rate at that point. Everyone else is correct about the price being $15-1600 now.

I paid around $1500ish for my VRI but then again I used the Bing cash back offer which was nice. Saved quite a bit of cash that way.

Gaaa... And I imagine the prices will only continue to go up... looks like I'll be picking up a 70-300VR and upgrade once the prices come back down. Here's to hoping thats sooner rather than later.

Prices on the VR1 are nuts. I'm not scared at all at dropping say... $1400 on an old original 300 f/2.8 AF (screwdriver version). But those AFS motors and VR modules make me nervous. If I'm dropping $1400-$1600 on a VR1 I'd just save a little more and get the VRII with five year warranty.

I just bought one @ $1600.00. It came with a Kirk foot stand, UV filter and another type of filter.Perfect spotless glass but the body has minor scuffs. Thinking about it now, it's still a decent deal but for a few hundred more I should've just bought a VR II. My VRI is very sharp though with my initial test. I can't wait to use this on my next shoot.

I just bought one @ $1600.00. It came with a Kirk foot stand, UV filter and another type of filter.Perfect spotless glass but the body has minor scuffs. Thinking about it now, it's still a decent deal but for a few hundred more I should've just bought a VR II. My VRI is very sharp though with my initial test. I can't wait to use this on my next shoot.

Kirk foot & filters will cost you $200.00 + taxes, so if the glass is in great shape then it sounds like you got a decent lens for & 1375.00. :)

I see VRI around here my area for $1500 typically, as well. Which when compared to the $900 AF-D, the choice is quite clear.

-richard

Ha, don't waste your time. You still need to be on here minimum 6 months.

I'm sure I've missed quite a few good deals on this board, despite my intention to stay. The 300 post is understandable, but limiting people to after 6 months is ridiculous. The people who post often enough are the ones most likely stay, and they're also going to be the ones who will hit 300 posts in a matter of weeks.

Case in point: I've only been here 2 months. :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom