How much is a dead D70 worth?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by GroovyGeek, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Looked on eBay, closed auctions vary from something I would not pay for a non-functioning D70 ($70) to the truly ridiculous ($150). Mine has a shutter problem of some sort --- it will focus just fine, when you press the release the mirror slaps up but never comes down until you press the release again. I am debating whether to bother listing it on Craigslist for a nominal amount, or just toss it in the trash.

2. Two questions..
    1. Does the shutter fire with the second click?

2. Does this camera have a mirror lock up feature where you press the shutter button once to lock up the mirror then press again to take the picture?

I think the D300 has this feature.

I don't know, but just throwing a couple of ideas out there.

MikeT

3. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I'd think it would be worth 20-25 bucks to someone as an interesting paperweight or disassembly project.

4. D70 doesnt have mirror lockup.

Did you call Nikon to see how much it would be to check it?

5. No, I did not call Nikon. Last time they had that camera, the DOF preview button was not working. It was outside the Nikon warranty but inside the credit card extension warranty, so I got it fixed. The cost was $160 plus around $15 for me to ship it to them. I bought a nearly new D40 for $230 yesterday, still 6 months remaining on the original Nikon warranty, it is really not worth it to me to bother with the repair.

6. TVayos

TVayos Guest

My d70s has mirror lock up

7. RockDawg

RockDawg

May 12, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't think Nikon's warranties are transferable.

8. Yes and it is for cleaning it is a menu item and also available on the 70 and probably everything else, not the same as the D200 and other bodies for mirror slap vibration on exposures.

9. Pretty much what I was getting at saying that it doesnt have mirror lock up.

Gotta love being tired and typing.:biggrin:

10. Check with:

Associated Camera Repair Inc.
    3401 N.E. Sandy Blvd.
    Portland, OR 97232
    503-232-5625
    Fax: 503-236-242

They are an authorized independent Nikon Repair shop.

11. I searched closed auctions on eBay, and was surprised to find dead D70's being sold for parts for $150+. An hour ago I listed mine with a Buy It Now option for $150, and it sold in about 20 mins. Go figure! I can't complain though, makes the net cost of my dead D70 -> nearly new D40 move only $70. Sweet...

12. DamonL

DamonL

May 14, 2008
    VA
    Where did you get that deal on the D40?

13. Buy It Now on eBay with a 25% off coupon through live.com searching. This was a used camera that was purchased last September, with 870 clicks on it. I think that this promotion is still going on, and you can also get a 10% PayPal coupon to increase the discount --- google it, it will come up. The cheapest available right now is $340, brand new with (an alleged) warranty, if you can get a 35% discount on it the net price to you will be $220.

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If its only going to be $160 to get it fixed at Nikon, I would go ahead and do that. 870 clicks is nothing, and with a new shutter (or whatever Nikon would replace) it should easily get another 50,000 clicks :smile: