How much is a used 2 ring Nikon 80-200mm ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Glas, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    I'm looking for one on ebay and wondering what's the max I should bid for.

Cheers guys

ps:Looking to shoot some indoor basketball

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Well you can get them new for around $800-900 depending on where you buy from. I just worked out a trade for one (that is only a couple of months old) and if you work out how much I paid for the lens I traded for it and how much cash I threw into the deal, I paid around $675 for mine.

3. I pretty much agree with Dave's assessment on price.
    FWIW, you may want to consider spending a few more $$ and get the AF-S version, given that you want to use it for sports. The focusing performance of the AF-S version is much better suited for that.

4. At KEH, the price of a used 80-200/f2.8 AFS is more or less the same as a new 80-200/f2.8 AFD, about $900. A used AFD, 2-ring runs about $600-$700 depending on condition. A new 70-200 AFS VR is $1600+, and the used ones are still $1500+.

5. AVG auction site/classified prices:
    550-650 AFD used
    800-950 AFS used
    Add a bit more for places like KEH and B&H, etc...(of course you get the right to return).
    AFS is better at f2.8-4, better with tc's, and faster focusing...in most other regards they're even up.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    You might want to look for the Sigma HSM as well. Since your stated need is indoor basketball remember that while VR may be nice, but your shutter speed will be close to the 1 over the focal length (say above 1/160) to stop the action, which is the general rule for being able to hand hold.

Also, you didn't mention the camera body you have. An AF-D on a D2H or D2X would have no problems, on a D50 it might.:wink:

7. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Cheers guys those are definitely useful info,I'll be hunting for AFS now. I must stay away from 3 of my friends with 70-200mm VR :biggrin::tongue:

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I wanted the AF-S, but so far the AF-D has been working just fine for me...I'll be trying it out at a Softball game Wednesday night to see how it really performs.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Just don't forget the hood Dave. That was actually my second copy of the AF-D version (long story). But I used the first one I had for a few years doing kids sports.

10. Depending on your shooting style, there is nothing wrong with the 2 ring AF-D lens.

11. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    I haven't used the AF-D but bought a used AF-S from here for $850 and it's a great lens. I use it almost for all my portraits. I'd buy it all over again if I had too.

12. I paid $600 for my AF-D well broken in with some minor scuffs, thats how I know its mine. Like new condition was going for about $750. My favorite lens right now. I tend to use it on a tripod and use my 70-300 f4-5.6 VR for handheld (much lighter).

13. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Peet, do share some pictures with us please. :smile:

14. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Never! :biggrin: I always keep the hood on no matter what...

Thanks again David.

15. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I'll get the chance to shoot some at our men's softball game on Wednesday night (7 PM start time, so still some light) and then again on Thursday for co-ed softball (start time at 9:30 PM so completely under the lights). We'll see how they turn out. :smile:

16. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    You have fun Peet [​IMG]

17. bender73

bender73 Guest

i have an AF-D and do just fine with birds. sports? people are a lot slower than a chickadee. my 2 cents.