How much is the 5 year warranty worth to you?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Connahhh, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Just wondering what you would pay (if you would pay at all) if the 5 year warranty on lenses was available only for purchase and not included with every lens?

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    if they didn't, the price should be less IMO
    they I would go from there

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    The main reason I'm asking is that at what price is a used lens not worth it for the warranty.

4. I'm pretty sure that every lens that I have had a problem with over the years encountered them after the warranty expired!

5. If its a non AF-S and/or non-VR lens....the warranty doesn't mean a whole lot to me....not too much to go wrong. :smile:

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    agree
    not a whole lot to go wrong with a 50 1.8, or similar
    now a 200-400VR, that would have to be REAL cheap to not have a warranty for me

7. I don't think I would buy AF-S VR lenses without a warranty. Far too much to go wrong as far as I'm concerned. Also, even if nothing goes wrong there could be calibration, optical and mechanical issues and those repairs and adjustments are not cheap if you don't have a warranty and we've all seen lenses that are past the return period but within warranty that need those kinds of repairs or that we question sharpness, etc. and can be worked on at no charge if there's a warranty.

On the other hand, if you're buying used and you buy from a reliable and trustworthy source, or you know the seller and know the item to be in excellent condition, sharp and working perfectly then I don't think I would worry too much about it.

8. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    for reference, i paid $1,300 for a Nikon refurb 70-200mmVR that came with 30 day warranty. new they're +/-$1,600.
    so, about a 15-20% discount
    no problems with it whatsoever
    ironically, and also to put repair/warranty items into perspective: i dropped it on its nose from a height of 4 feet - onto a hardwood floor.
    paid $450 to replace the af mechanism

9. Ouch!

10. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    yeah - wish it would have hit my toe
    point is that the cost of a screw-up, which seems more likely than a warranty issue, is large.

11. Exactly!! I couldn't agree more.

12. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I'm not sure how lax Nikon is with its 'oops' clause in its warranty, but I dropped my kit lens a while back which then didn't autofocus at all afterwards. It was still under warranty. I sent it in expecting a bill for my clumsiness, but they repaired it under warranty. Since then I will probably buy all of my lenses (unless an amazing deal comes up) new with a 5 year warranty. I just know my own clumbsiness ;)

13. Nikon is not forgiving when it comes to clumsiness or an accidental drop. They're good but not that good.

14. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I would imagine if its something they can blatenly see as owner misuse, but there are cases where its difficult to tell. Broken glass would be a no-go probably 100% of the time. Jammed mechanisms perhaps not.

15. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    The manual focus lenses in fact USA models have only 1 year warranty, not 1+4.

For me, the warranty is worth up to the cost of the most expensive repair that I could anticipate making on the lens. In a real life example, if you were looking at the 17-35mm f/2.8 USA model, the most probable thing that might go wrong of anything that could go wrong and most expensive manufacturer's defect with that lens is the SWM which costs $450 to repair. If you have no warranty, you will have to pay that out of pocket. If that repair + the price of what you pay used exceeds what the lens would cost you new, it might be better to buy it new. If it is a lens without significant reports of failure, then you might feel more comfortable risking. I've sent my 17-35mm in once and suspect it will go in again before the 5 years are up.

For me, though, as long as the repair+purchase price is less than the cost of buying it new, then I'm fine. I'd never buy any of the modern technological lenses used, though, unless I only planned to use it briefly then resell.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  16. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    What 5 year warranty? We pay more, and get a 1 year warranty. :mad:

17. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    USA is 1yr + 4 years if you register it. UK should be 3 years, it's not? Italy is 3 years too, on the lenses, and I think maybe the bodies too which is only 1 year in the u.s. Dino can verify this though for Italy.

18. In Canada it's 5 years on lenses, and 2 years on cameras. Use your credit card and it is another year on top, at least with my visa card.

19. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Depends on the lens and complexity. When I got the 105mm VR, I did pay extra (I could have gotten it refurbed for about $150 less). But I recently purchased a used 85mm f/1.8, and wasn't really concerned about the warranty...