How much to ask MX magazine for my photo?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jul 12, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    As I mentioned in my Red Bud thread, I contacted a major motocross magazine about this pic;

DSC_2467copy2w.

I got a nice reply from the managing editor, and they are interested in using it. I was asked what I wanted for it.

though I've shot motocross for almost thirty years, I've never submitted anything to a magazine before, so I have no idea what the going rates are, or how to proceed.

any suggestions on price and/or procedure?

thanks

Jim

2. What is the circulation of this magazine? (How many subscribers) Will it also be used online, or only in print?

3. Jim, I would ask what are they will to pay. IMHO its more important to get published...get your foot in the door first, money will come later.

Anthony

4. The reason I asked the above questions is that apparently there are formulas for what a publication usually pays out (or what you should ask for), based on circulation and use (print vs online vs both). I don't have the answers, but I figured if the info was here, then when those who *do* have the answers read, they can give you suggestions. :smile:

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

While I agree with Anthony, I also agree with Gretchen and I don't want you to sell yourself short and hurt your chances of getting fair market value. There are formulas they use and going rates for publications posted on the web.

Your best bet is to ask the editor what their standard rate is for photos and see if you like their dollar amount. Most likely you will be happy with their reply.

Good luck and let us know how it ends up!

6. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Grethen, I don't know the numbers, I'll have to search for it. now that I think about it, it might be in the magazine.:wink: which is at home. :frown:

he only mentioned using it in the magazine.

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, everyone. I'm at work, and don't have much time here. I'll be back this afternoon.

thanks,

Jim

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I checked the last copy of photographers market I had (1996)And they didnt have "MX" but had "dirt rider" listed , so some adjustment may be needed

Dirt rider in 1996 was paying $200.00 for cover shots (color or B&W) $50.00 inside shots . theyre circulation was 185,000.

hope this helps alittle

9. Here's the best online resource to determine usage fees.

http://www.editorialphoto.com/resources/estimator/

Here are the questions you will need to ask; circulation of print magazine, size and location of image to be used in the magazine (cover, 1/2 page, etc.) and then for online you need to find out size, if it will be on the home page and how long they want to use it (1 day, 1 week, 1 month, etc.)

The comments that it is more important to get published and worry about the money later is kind of misleading. It is important to get published for sure, but if you low ball your fee now you will never get more $ from this publisher. And, if you allow them to use your image for less than fair market value you end up hurting yourself in the long run because the more people give away their images the less publishers will be willing to pay all photographers in the future. With that said what I'd suggest to entice them to use your image is to give them the right to use the image in both print and web for 1 fee.

In general terms if it's a cover shot, expect about $500, if its a full page inside shot expect $250 and if it's a 1/4 page or less expect $75-$150. These #'s are based on medium sized publications. Online is usually used for a month or less and you should expect about 50% or less of the prices above.

I hope that helps.

10. By the way, nice image. Good action, colors and sharpness.

11. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    thanks David, for both posts. and thanks to Gretchen, Anthony, Joe, and biggs. sorry for the late reply. in the middle of switching computers. I finally got a new one. boy, what a difference SPEED makes. :biggrin:

I did some searching, but could not find there circulation numbers. I've never played in this park before, and I would like to get published. I plan to reply and say that I can't give him a price because I don't know how they would use it. I'll ask him for the standard rates, and take it from there. I don't want to give it away, since I'm pretty sure that no one else got that shot, since there were no press shooters where I was. :wink:

I'll also send him another unique shot of James Stewart;

DSC_2251YcopyB2.

while the eyes pearing through the roll-off strip isn't anything new, check out the little number 7 , hanging from his necklace, directly above his number plate. I've looked at many, many pics of Stewart, and I've never seen that before.

anyway, again THANKS to ALL. I will let you know how this plays out.

Jim

12. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
  13. Nipr,
    I hope you can get that for those shots, they are very nice!
    Steve

14. If you know their ad rate it uses that as a basis for figuring usage rates on editorial photos. You might ask at the Editorial Photo site if anyone there has shot for this publication and the may give you exact $'s. Also, do a search at sportsshooter.com for the magazine name.

15. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks again, David. :biggrin:

kind of ironic, I'm getting good advice concerning my National MX pics from a gentleman who shares the name of a former multi-time National MX Champion. :wink:

16. Yes, I talk to him via email every once in a while. He's a great guy and an incredible athlete, even today being in a wheelchair.

17. Another good source for learning negotiating prices, terms, usage etc is "Fotoquote" by Cradoc Bagshaw.
    Good luck

18. Did you ever get these in the MX magazines? :smile:

19. give it to them if they print a credit line w/ your website & name

20. bender73

bender73 Guest

great idea. get published and after awhile maybe people will knock on your door instead.