How much would you charge for the following -

Dealership would like headshots (sitting down) of their sales team.

50 people and retakes (as many as needed) on a makeup day.

Edited in color and B&W.

Full-size versions on CD for printing (costco quality - they will pay for prints) and advertising.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What's our cost of being gone for two days from the family, time spent post processing, delivery method, gallery hosting?, and the cost of buying you a new lens as "profit"? :biggrin:

$500.00 you keep the images.

But let me ask you a question...where were you standing...it seems like he was looking down a little. You have all that neck problem going on.

That was a shot from 2008... wasn't really sure what I was doing, but the lot came out ok... I had the cam a bit too low and they were sitting on a chair...

Real Name
Walter Rowe
You will never get 50 people in a day. Expect at least 15 minutes per person if they are totally ready and NO retakes. Charge double your processing fee (color plus B&W). Charge more for the first person each day (set up time), and less for each subsequent person that same day. If they insist in you coming back for retakes, charge for them just like you did for the first photos .. more for the first one, less for the subsequent people that day. You will find this is way more work than you expected, and it won't go as planned. Make sure you have an assistant who can help straighten clothes and hair and adjust lights. Get a written contract and a deposit before you take a single image. Make them do a schedule for the shoot so each person knows exactly when they need to ready.

This should really be moved to the Making Money forum.

I am asking $500 for the following -

1. Headshots for 50-75 people
2. Retakes on a makeup day as needed (for those who don't like their first photo or who were off the day of the first session)
3. Edit image of each person in both B&W and Color
4. All edited images on a CD with full copyright permission

I will plan on taking at least 5 posed shots per person. I am going to set up my mac with LR so they can see each image on the screen the second after I take it. This should help them out, since they as sales persons have control on how their image is displayed and whatnot.

NOTE - My good friend has worked for the company for 10+ years and so this price is a discounted price though him. And I did tell them this. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Show your full price on your invoice and place the discount at the end. For the record I would have charged $1000 a day at least and counted on at least two days. Friends are friends. Business is business.

I am asking $500 for the following -

1. Headshots for 50-75 people
2. Retakes on a makeup day as needed (for those who don't like their first photo or who were off the day of the first session)
3. Edit image of each person in both B&W and Color
4. All edited images on a CD with full copyright permission

I will plan on taking at least 5 posed shots per person. I am going to set up my mac with LR so they can see each image on the screen the second after I take it. This should help them out, since they as sales persons have control on how their image is displayed and whatnot.

NOTE - My good friend has worked for the company for 10+ years and so this price is a discounted price though him. And I did tell them this. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.
imho: you are selling yourself very short.

15mins per person? Why so much time? I've shot Air Force balls and we shot couples in front of backdrops and spent no more than, and usually much less, than 5 mins per couple.

The 5 pose thing is going to kill you. 5 different, creative poses?

I did a shoot for an architectural firm of their staff. I severely undercharged and still walked away with $2500. There was about 38 of 'em if I remember correctly. Hardest paycheck I ever earned

15mins per person? Why so much time? I've shot Air Force balls and we shot couples in front of backdrops and spent no more than, and usually much less, than 5 mins per couple.
I agree. Shooting individuals sitting in front of a pre-setup background can go very quickly if the photographer is prepared.

I used to work for a company full time, where we did this type of stuff day in and day out with old Nikon F2's. I can put 50 people through at an average of 4 minutes per person easily. (as long as they are available when it is their time.)

The 5 pose thing is going to kill you. 5 different, creative poses?
Not that bad really, given this assignment is posed sitting shots. The key actually is to avoid too much creativity.

Get a photographer's posing stool. (NOT a chair) It quickly adjusts up and down with a pull/push. It rotates 360 degrees. Place it at the location in front of the background and meter for the exposure. Put some tape at 45 degree angles either side of the stool and one more in between pointing at the camera. Have the subject sit on the stool. Adjust it for height if needed and then have them put their feet on the tape at the center mark. Get first shot, similar to above. Have them rotate 45 degrees to their right and put feet on tape at that point. Have them look towards but not directly at he camera and shoot second shot. Have them turn to the tape on their left at 45 degrees and put feet there. Turn/tilt head towards camera and get 3rd shot. The first 3 shots should take less than 90 seconds from the time they sit down.

Depending on how complex and how much time you want to invest, the next 2 shots can be simple or complex. I suggest quick and simple. After the 3rd shot, have the guys lean forward slightly, putting their right elbow on their right leg or knee. Shoot 4th shot. Have them turn back to the tape mark at 45 degrees left and lean forward on their left arm withe elbow on leg/knee. Shoot fifth shot. Say thank you and bring in next victim. :biggrin:

For females, have them cross one leg over the other, so the knee is higher and the lean less than the males. Have them put elbow on leg/knee with arm up toward face, and rest chin on hand when turned 45 degrees each side. Something like this:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Practice with a friend, getting the ability to talk your subject into the poses, and you should be able to move things along quickly, consistently, and with an atmosphere of professional control.

Do you have a contract? Do you know anything about accounting? Do you have an entity? If you're an ACCOMPLISHED photographer you could charge quite a bit. If you're unskilled and use desk lamps to light a subject I wouldn't charge much if not anything at all.

Construct your pricing on a few things.
1. How many hours you take to shoot.
2. For every hour you shoot, you will edit about 3-4 hours.
3. How many miles will you travel? Tolls?
4. If you have an online service how much does that cost?

All in all for your photography, I would create a spreadsheet for what your costs are a per working day. I apply that to how much I'd need to make over a week or so really, or even a month and apply that also to how much I'd need to live / buy equipment etc.

It's not as simple as asking "How much would this cost?" Your skill level has everything to do with how much it will ultimately cost. :)

Hope I wasn't too overbearing!

Does your friend own the car dealership? If not, I fail to see why you would give the owner any sort of discounted rate. These car dealers have huge advertising budgets. They should pay a proper fee for photos they will likely hang in their dealership for the next year.

Single posed shot for a passport photo - no post-processing is at least $10. $20 each for what you are doing would seem inexpensive to me.

Larry

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom