How not to shoot wildlife

NOt an elk. I think it is a deer. Red Deer is the native species, but there are other introduced species. Might be a Sika deer. An Elk with that mature a rack would be much bigger.

But YEAH! There is a reason they are called wild animals! That photog has been playing too much Nintendo and thinking that is reality!

My family and I took a trip to the Canadian Rockies last summer and each day we saw families parking on the shoulder of highways pursuing photo opportunities with animals. That they were disappointed to not see bears and to only get deer was shocking - get too close to a wild animal, and you better be ready to throw down!

Damn deer, if the thing wanted privacy it should have draw the blinds closed as it has no reasonable expectation of privacy from people using the street.:biggrin:

Glad the photog was alright, those antlers can be deadly. He was lucky the camera blocked the antlers as it looked like they were going into his face!!!!!

You can see similar foolish risk taking in Yellowstone every summer.
Indeed. A few years back my son, one of his friends and I went on a motorcycle trip to Glacier and Yellowstone. We came to a traffic jam and guessed (correctly) that bison were crossing. Stopped, got off the bikes stood off to the side to take some pictures (from a safe distance). From our vantage point we watched a woman jump out of a bus-sized RV with a little P&S camera. She took one picture, looked at the screen and decided she needed to be closer. She sprinted directly at the nearest group, a bull and a couple of females. Of course, she hit the magic distance and here came the bull. She turned and ran for her life. She was extremely lucky that this particular bull let it go with an "educational" charge.

Here is a picture from that day. The bull eyeing my bike is about he same size as the one that charged the woman from the RV.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Carl
The Disney generation of Canon shooters ! What's the guy gonna say? "I wuz a numb-nuts?" Orrrr..." Don't try this at home, kiddies!"

Instead, "Yawp yawp; lotta damage to me camera." :cool: But, to actually post somethng like that. Maybe as a negative learning moment?

Little WhiteTailed Deer have killed adult-sized people, coyotes and skunks carry rabies, chipmunks have a nasty bite! KYDD! (Keep Your Da***d Distance!)

Oh, never mind! :mad:

A candidate for getting himself the Darwin removal from the gene pool award. If that had been a North American Elk or Moose, well lets just say the video would have been a lot more, you get the picture.

I'd much rather shoot from a distance with a long lens than take stupid chances! My daddy taught me right!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom