How often do you do a "serious" shoot?

Right now its once a month with my friend Tom. My wife lets me go for a day or two anywhere I want. I often carry a camera in my car, but for imaging where it is the focus of the day, its once a month.

With Gas at nearly $4 a gallon here a several hundred mile trip can cost a tank of gas (especially if we off road it in 4 wheel).

However, the feeling of imaging unchained so to speak really charges my spirit (lots going on with my very senior folks). The intensity of imaging seriously for 10 or 12 hours gives me room to try techniques and to once again think about the images I'm making like when I used large format.

So, how often do you image for yourself on serious shoot? How long, how far do you travel? And do you intentionally get out of your comfort zone?

well ........ not very often since i am just a hobbies. but with gas going that much - not that much.

and for day road trips I usually find some nice parks or trails around the city and hope on my bike and off i go. Get some exercise and grab some photos along the way

I have 2 a month...that's all I want. However in April and May I do 8th grade formals which are extremely fun to do. You make money doing those.

About once a month. It's one Saturday where I hike by myself deep into the woods or some remote tidepool locations and just shoot all day. Just me, my camera and nature. It's like meditation for me - a day to relax and just be "one with nature".

It entirely depends on when they come. Some months, there's nothing. Other times, especially when there's conventions (I shoot a lot of costume-makers), there's tons. The second biggest con of the year is this coming weekend, and I'll be doing anywhere between 5 and 15 major shoots.

Real Name
Mike
I'm not a serious shooter. Just an "advanced" hobbyist, shall we say. Whenever I go out to shoot, I don't usually have a particular thing in mind. I have to find a subject that says something to me or that I can say something with. I also enjoy doing specimen shots of flowers. If I'm in the right mood, have the time and find the right subject, I can get serious about it. But for me at this point, it's more about just being out there.

"Serious" as in for pay, whenever they come along... usually 1-2 a month. "Serious" as in for my own fun, usually during vacations... and by serious, I mean I research, check out shots from the area, watch the weather, and make sure everything is as planned and right as possible, and then I go and just enjoy myself. About 2-3 times a year, I and a couple of buddies drive somewhere "local" and do a one night camping trip with hiking and photography.

Serious shooting? It's the only way I know how to shoot. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy myself immensely. The amount depends on time of year and weather. I will be gone almost all of next month, a week in the Redwoods then 2 weeks in Iceland.

I don't like spending a lot on gas but I do since I travel most of the west. I save money camping instead of hotel/motel and bring my own food.

Just about everyday. You don't have to travel. I can spend hours in the backyard focusing on birds I see, plants, flowers, trees, insects, or even cloud formations.

I don't know what "serious" photography is. I treat a fun, do what I want shoot just the same as a paid shoot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom