How setup a fill flash using the D200 as a commander.

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by davewolfs, Jun 17, 2007.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Hey folks,

I am wondering what is the best method to setup the D200 to be used with a remote SB800 as a fill flash.

Suppose that I have a bright background and I expose this to be -1 stop using a manual adjustment (to add more contrast/pop between subject and background.

Suppose that the background properly exposed is f/4 with 1/125 shutter speed.

Using the D200 as a commander with the SB-800 as a remote, how would I ensure that the front subject is properly exposed? There are a few options such as front curtain sync, rear curtain sync....But I am not sure when to use what, and what each of these options do. Hopefully someone could explain.

Dave

2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Dave, in general, I try to avoid overly bright backgrounds if possible. But, in the example you provided, I would suggest under exposing the BG by 2 full stops. So, manual exposure, 1/250 @f/5.6 to start.

As for the remote flash, it depends on what mode you are shooting in, using direct, an umbrella, etc. But, lets just say TTL. Fire some test shots....take a shot, take a look, and then make adjustments from there.

If the BG is still too bright, stop the lens down another 1/2 or full stop and test again. BG too dark? Open up 1/2 or 1 full stop.

Same for the flash...if the subject is too dark, bump up the EV to +.3, or +.7. Subject overexposed? Change the EV to -.3 or -.7.

Check your LCD and histograms and play with these combinations until you get the effect you desire.

The front and rear curtain synch don't really make much difference unless you are shooting slower shutter speeds. See page 59 of the SB-800 manual for more info.

3. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Any reason why TTL BL cannot be set from the D200 when using the D200 as a commander?