How slow is the AF on the 80-200 push-pull?

Hello, I need a zoom for kids indoor volleyball and football. I understand that the AF on the 80-200 push pull is slower than on the two ring, but is it unusable for kids' sports? Looking at KEH, a push pull is about $350 less than a two ring, and I am not sure if the two ring is worth the difference. FYI I shoot with a D80.

Thanks in advance.

Infinity to close focus is somewhat slow. I imagine if you kept it at the approx distance and tracked your subjects it would work just fine.

Optically speaking, it was very good. Keh does grant a 14-day return. Not fast enough will be best judged by you.

Personally, I would go the two ring route. Many posters here comment that the two ring focuses pretty quick.

I just picked up a Sigma II and it's focus is very quick. Also, it looks like the Tamron is a very good choice.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
No complaints here with a D80 and 80-200 2.8 D Push Pull combo. As stated before, from minimum to maximum focus distance it's a bit pokey but for tracking subjects on the move, it works well. I generally use mine for swimming but this weekend was tracking some kids running around a park and had zero problems in AF-C mode.

This topic comes up periodically, so a search might yield some further feedback.

Anyway, my 2 cents: Very slow. For sports, I would definitely pick the two-ring over the push-pull. Alternatively, as John mentioned, the Sigma might be a good alternative. I'm not so sure the new Tamron focuses fast, though.

I've used both lenses on a D70 and a D2h to compare, and the push-pull was much slower than the two-ring, it's no contest.

For volleyball, given your proximity to the action, the push-pull is probably much too slow. Also, if volleyball will be your primary interest, you might be better off with a 50/1.4 or an 85/1.8. Indoors (especially in poorly lit HS gyms), f/2.8 really isn't that fast.

For football, you might get away with a push-pull because you're fairly far from the field and the focusing distance is a) much closer to infinity and b) fairly constant.

I use a push-pull for most of my day to day stuff, and find it fast enough if I set the focus limiter. I used it for a couple years as a white water photog and never had any problems with the focus speed. I will say that I have never tried a 2 ring version or any AF-S lens for that matter. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. I have thought about using the 85 1.8 for volleyball. I am not impressed with the focus speed on the 85 (I have used it for gymnastics), but I doubt the girls will be moving all that fast, since they are in the 4th grade and just starting.

I am really struggling with picking up a push pull 80-200 or the 70-300vr for junior high football (and baseball/softball in the summers) though.

And Thebac, I am sure this topic has come up, I am just too much of a moron to construct a reasonable search.

Last edited by a moderator:
(...)

And Thebac, I am sure this topic has come up, I am just too much of a moron to construct a reasonable search.
True, the search engine here is kind of a pain.

Anyway, if you don't like the focus speed of the 85/1.8, you probably won't like the focus speed of the push pull 80-200/2.8. Compared to the push pull, the 85/1.8 is lightning fast in my recollection.

Of course, with fourth graders, you can probably get by with a slower-focusing lens.

N

Nuteshack

the push is SLOW but i don't use for inside sports on the d200...need faster glass for that...;-)

I have had the 80-200 AF-D(push-pull), the AF-S D(2 ring) and currently the 70-200 AF-S VR. Of all the push pull was the slowest as far as focusing. It is screw driven where as the AF-S versions has the focusing motor in the lens(the S is for "Silent Wave"). You will probably be ok with it, but don't ever touch an AF-S lens. If you do, you won't let go. 8^)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom