How times have changed!

I bought my Yashica TL Electro in 1974 with a 1.9 50mm lens for $150, including case :smile: It was my first SLR camera.

Carole

I lusted for a motor drive for my Nikon F in the early 70's... I think it offered a very impressive 4fps, but it was SO EXPENSIVE and had to be specially fitted to the body. I couldn't afford it. Now almost every DSLR seems to offer AT LEAST 4fps, and most consider this speed slow....

A better guess, at least for the first page you displayed, is that the magazine is from the 80's. The page shows the Nikon F3, which was introduced in 1980 (at the time, I was using motor-driven F2, FM and FE cameras).

Nice! I still have film cameras. Just couldn't part with them. Two F2as one all black and one chrome w/motors. One F2a and one F2 with no meter finder. Two F3's w/motors and different viewfinders. One F4 with all the type grips and viewfinders. Still have my first 35mm a Tower(Sears brand) with a 50mm. Also have my first camera a brownie box and a few other oldies.They all work and are in great shape. Have some Honeywell potato masher flashes with battery packs.Don't know if the flashes work but I doubt it. My favorite is the Nikon F2 series. The best designed is the F4 series. The prices are intersting in the magazines you have.

So my ? is what was the pound worth in 70s Des, i am guessing near 5$ US, Which makes for a fairly costly outfit, 2000 US, that converts into 14,000 US today. Old books are cool to go through, neat you bought them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up the book name and they mentioned that it originally came out in the 70's but this was very likely early 80's as mentioned.
I suppose these days a book that is 5 years old would be considered outdated with the way digital is going :)

Real Name
Chris
Times have changed?

Here is a word and picture medium that caters to folks who spend a large portion of their disposable income on the latest photographic technology. Seems pretty normal to me. :Unsure::BigGrin::Crunk:

ps, I had Canon A-1 cameras in 1980. And some fine glass!

Times have changed?

Here is a word and picture medium that caters to folks who spend a large portion of their disposable income on the latest photographic technology. Seems pretty normal to me. :Unsure::BigGrin::Crunk:

I almost gave up on photography when it was film only. Digital changed that because I can now see my results instantly- if that hadn't happened I wouldn't have joined the ranks of people who keep spending money on photographic gear :smile:

I do miss the darkroom from time to time but have to say digital has let me experiment a lot more.

And the amazing thing is you can take that old Nikkor lens from the 70s and it will fit and work on your new Nikon dSLR, try that with Canon or any other brand!:biggrin:

I was given a dirt cheap Kodak 110 in high school. Since I didn't have much money to buy film, I would budget the 24 exposures so it lasts 1 or 2 months. I only took a picture if it was a really, really, REALLY special shot. It's crazy how much crap we shoot these days.

It's always interesting looking through an old magazine of a subject that has changed a lot in recent years. It just makes the magazine seem that much older because of amount of change :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom