1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

How to achieve the look I want?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by BrendaC, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BrendaC

BrendaC

Sep 24, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I want to shoot with the sun behind my subject but maybe spilling a bit around the head. I want to maintain the details in the sky, blue and puffy white clouds but have the subject properly exposed. I want to shoot from a low perspective. So....I want to expose for the sky and use fill flash for my subject, right? Should I use the flash on camera or off? Do Whick setting would be the best for the flash? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. If you expose for the sky, or even underexpose it by a stop, and use on camera flash to add fill, you should get what you want. Just play with your flash exposure compensation so it doesn't make the subject too bright. Just work in manual, and keep your shutter speed below the camera flash sync speed unless you have a flash that can use high speed sync.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.