How to adjust AF

So to be clear in my mind...and that's not always a given....to use the dot-tune method for a 500mm lens you position the target 50x500= 25,000mm or 82 ft away? Not something you can readily do indoors.
Hi Bob,

I'm pretty sure this is "one of those" topics that you can ask a dozen people & get a dozen varying answers.

FWIW, this what I've done with success for quite some time with my Nikon gear and Canon in my previous life.

As I mentioned, I've used both FoCal and DotTune with equal results. Since the DotTune is quicker & easier (for me), that's my preference. I do, however use the FoCal target and distance chart when using DotTune.

The target distance varies with FL - Distance factor goes down as FL goes up.

I took an ugly photo of the chart I use. It is attached for reference.

Again, this is what works "for me".

EDIT (Add): The required distance goes back to my earlier reference to "those lucky enough to have a large area...". For my 500 & 600 and TC's, I am fortunate to have access to a warehouse I can setup in. The challenge is lighting. Bright & no Flicker are necessary.

This topic reminds me of what may be the only thing I miss from the Canon world. This process on Canon bodies is better in two areas.
1) You can tune both "long & short" ends of a Zoom lens (I think this may be available in the D780?).
2) The camera logs lens and TC s/n and associates it with the tune. That means I could tune different copies of the same lens and/or TC and the camera would apply the appropriate setting depending on which hardware was attached. This would be nice now, if I were to grab wifey's 500PF or TC and pop it on one of my bodies - rather than having to make sure I use "certain" lenses & TC's with certain bodies.
Nikon - if you're listening... :)

Regards,
Phil

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

I'm pretty sure this is "one of those" topics that you can ask a dozen people & get a dozen varying answers.

FWIW, this what I've done with success for quite some time with my Nikon gear and Canon in my previous life.

As I mentioned, I've used both FoCal and DotTune with equal results. Since the DotTune is quicker & easier (for me), that's my preference. I do, however use the FoCal target and distance chart when using DotTune.

The target distance varies with FL - Distance factor goes down as FL goes up.

I took an ugly photo of the chart I use. It is attached for reference.

Again, this is what works "for me".

EDIT (Add): The required distance goes back to my earlier reference to "those lucky enough to have a large area...". For my 500 & 600 and TC's, I am fortunate to have access to a warehouse I can setup in. The challenge is lighting. Bright & no Flicker are necessary.

This topic reminds me of what may be the only thing I miss from the Canon world. This process on Canon bodies is better in two areas.
1) You can tune both "long & short" ends of a Zoom lens (I think this may be available in the D780?).
2) The camera logs lens and TC s/n and associates it with the tune. That means I could tune different copies of the same lens and/or TC and the camera would apply the appropriate setting depending on which hardware was attached. This would be nice now, if I were to grab wifey's 500PF or TC and pop it on one of my bodies - rather than having to make sure I use "certain" lenses & TC's with certain bodies.
Nikon - if you're listening... :)

Regards,
Phil
thanks very much for your input Phil. I appreciate the information that you provided and will give the recommendations a try.

The camera logs lens and TC s/n and associates it with the tune. That means I could tune different copies of the same lens and/or TC and the camera would apply the appropriate setting depending on which hardware was attached. This would be nice now, if I were to grab wifey's 500PF or TC and pop it on one of my bodies - rather than having to make sure I use "certain" lenses & TC's with certain bodies.
According to Thom Hogan (in his D850 book):
  • Watch for overlapping lens IDs. You only get one calibration per lens number. Thus, if you’ve got multiple 85mm f/1.4 lenses (and who doesn’t?79) you need to use List saved values after you calibrate the first one to set different lens numbers for each of them.

According to Thom Hogan (in his D850 book):
  • Watch for overlapping lens IDs. You only get one calibration per lens number. Thus, if you’ve got multiple 85mm f/1.4 lenses (and who doesn’t?79) you need to use List saved values after you calibrate the first one to set different lens numbers for each of them.
If that means there's a reasonably easy way to calibrate & save multiple "like" lenses & TC's, you have absolutely MADE MY DAY! :)

I have the ebook at home and will look tonight.

Thank you Nick!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I don't know about the Z's.....but with my D850 and D5 I can set AFFT values for the bare lens (500mm/4 and 300/f4) and another AFFT value for the lens with tele.

I don't know about the Z's.....but with my D850 and D5 I can set AFFT values for the bare lens (500mm/4 and 300/f4) and another AFFT value for the lens with tele.
Yes Ma'am, I agree totally and would "assume" the Z's are similar. I've never needed to try on the Z bodies.

What I was hoping to accomplish (and just received guidance from Nick on) is trying to tune & save unique settings for something like my 500PF and my wifes 500PF on all of our bodies and "my" TC's and "her" TC's with the various lens combos on each body. Doing this would allow me to use "any" lens / TC combo on any of our bodies and still have to AFFT values for each unique pairing.

I was able to do that with our Canon gear, as the bodies associated each tune setting with a lens & s/n (or chip #), so I didn't have to worry about my vs. her TC or lens.

Probably my OCD getting in my way again! ;-)

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope! Spot one, dead accurate.
On my D850 I used DotTune and later stuck with the built-in AF fine tune. I had been a long time Focal user, but with each change in camera model, and/or OS upgrade they wanted more $$.
so the builtin method was better than dottune ?

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
to be clear: The Z6 locks on eyes, even using Group AF, that surprised me. With my DSLRs I see way more missed eyes. The 1st thing I do in LR is click on the eye to see 100%, if it isn't so sharp you don't see any mushy eyes (kinda like liguidy looking) the pic is deleted.
I'm going to try the builtin method as soon as feel better

thanks for all the replies, I knew you guys would know

Mirrorless forced me to AF fine tune all my lenses. I don't really touch the 70-200mm though, since my current Nikon camera doesn't have multi-focal length AF fine tune adjustments like the D780 and other newer bodies. Though I've AF fine tuned my 16-35mm f/4 specifically for 16mm and that lens comes off sharper on my D750 than on a Z6!

OFF-TOPIC

The 1st thing I do in LR is click on the eye to see 100%, if it isn't so sharp you don't see any mushy eyes (kinda like liguidy looking) the pic is deleted.
You've probably noticed that Dan has successfully used a software program (sorry that I don't remember which one) that uses artificial intelligence to sharpen images that aren't tack sharp. Consider keeping those out-of-focus images and marking them as candidates for some day trying to do what Dan and others are doing.

OFF-TOPIC
You've probably noticed that Dan has successfully used a software program (sorry that I don't remember which one) that uses artificial intelligence to sharpen images that aren't tack sharp. Consider keeping those out-of-focus images and marking them as candidates for some day trying to do what Dan and others are doing.
More than likely Topaz, Sharpen AI
It's really cool software.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom