How to ask or become a 2nd shooter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mdruiz, Sep 16, 2008.

1. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I live in the Central Florida / Orlando area..I would love to learn wedding photography. How does someone like my self go about that?

2. Put together a portfolio of your best stuff, call up some wedding photogs in your area, and ask if you can buy them a coffee and have an hour of their time. Show them your stuff, ask if you can tag along, help out, watch quietly and learn, and one just might say yes. There's an old saying in sales "them that don't ask, don't get" Bad grammar but good advice.

3. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Offer to shoot as a second shooter for free. Shoot everything. Put together your best images and go with what Sandi said. If someone agrees to pay you, you're set. Keep working and putting a portfolio together until you're on your own.

I'm not saying that I did this or anything, but it's what I would do. :biggrin:

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    This is some good advice. I read "Successful Self-Promotion for Photographers" by Elyse Weissberg and in the book she said pretty much what Sandi and Connor said. Ask to shoot for free and if you get paid then awesome. The skills you will learn will be far more valuable than any monetary compensation.

5. I actually just finished up my first shoot as a 'second shooter'. I was volunteering for photography for a local sporting event. I simply asked the main shooter (who was hired for the event) if he needed any help. Luckily I got it and it was a great first step!